Baby footprint keychain/ornament!

Hi all! Decided to try my first engrave based on my baby’s footprint stamp (he’s 2 months old now!)

Overall, I didn’t do much to further optimize the image, though I’m sure I’d get even better results if I did. In short, here’s what I did:

• Scanned the footprint using a regular HP scanner
  • Greyscaled the image
  • Uploaded it to the Glowforge UI
  • Decided to do a manual engrave & did an ordered dither (45 min level / 90 max level)
  • Popped in 1/8 inch maple hardwood
  • Engraved it! Took about 5 minutes

I then decided after the fact to cut it out with a hole for a key ring or ornament hook. This was a good test of the camera alignment. I rescanned the bed with the engraved foot, and dragged in an outline for the cut I created in inkscape on top of it. The alignment was spot on!

I’ll do a few more of these for family members & will probably iterate on the process to see if I can get even better results! I’m open for any recommendations!

Cheers!
SCAN/SOURCE IMAGE

ENGRAVING!!

CUTTING

FINAL PRODUCT!

84 Likes

I’m thinking that deserves edgelit acrylic for a nightlight - more useful for infant feeding times than it is for any other period in a person’s life. (possibly excepting hotel stays.)

16 Likes

Awe super Adorable! This would look amazing on acrylic as well! :blush:

6 Likes

What a fantastic idea! (Got a lot of new parents here who are going to love it!) :grinning::+1:

6 Likes

Love it! I love the little wrinkles that showed up in the engrave. Good job!

7 Likes

Ok, that has got to be in the top 10 cutest uses for photo engrave! :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

That’s great!!! I would to the name and birth date on the back. Christmas presents are gonna be so much easier with a :glowforge:

9 Likes

In da feet, there is triumph ! Sorry, couldn’t resist a pun.

6 Likes

That’s the plan! I actually did it, but didn’t tone down the score settings & it ended up cutting through the proofgrade in some areas where the engrave was deeper. Easy fix though!

4 Likes

I gotta do this when I get my GF. My twins are 2 months old this week as well.

7 Likes

This is adorable!

3 Likes

It is so cute! Great job!!!
Please share if you do some hand-prints too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When you created the initial footprint imprint, what did you use as “ink” to transfer from foot to paper? Or does your baby now have a permanent marking on his/her foot?

4 Likes

That is really sweet… great use of ProForgeOne

4 Likes

Charming! You can cherish this forever.

2 Likes

I plan on doing this same thing with my son’s footprint for my parents & sisters this Christmas.

2 Likes

Wow! What a great idea, no infants on my horizon but I have a few coworkers that would love this! Acrylic would really bring it to life.

2 Likes

So I’m new here, but our kindergarten teacher would love to make these for the parents this year. I am slowly learning how this works and loving it, but what is a dither and how do I set this up for a good result with handprints? Thanks.

1 Like

Dithering is a method of fooling the eye into recognizing shades of gray out of a pure black and white image by spacing the dots farther apart for lighter shades. (Think of a photo printed in a newspaper.)

If you use the Convert to Dots or Photo Engrave options in the Glowforge interface, it automatically does the dithering for you.

3 Likes

Jules, thank you for explaining that. Is there a way to find out all the settings that were used on this project?