Baby, it's cold outside!

That is too eff-in cold! (eff=freezing ;-))

1 Like

Along the Front Range of the Rockies, “Chinook winds” result from air masses being “pushed” over the continental divide from west to east. The air compresses on its way downslope and can raise temperatures 10s of degrees in just hours. It’s not uncommon for them to “eat” as much as 3-4 inched of accumulated snow in a day.

Also why I don’t shovel snow on day 1 of a storm, unless it looks like we’ll get more than 6-8 inches. :innocent:

6 Likes

Yes, from where the native American tribe come from…:slight_smile: I understand your winds explanation, I was describing where the name came from. “Snow eater” is a local Rocky Mountain (Colorado?) definition for the wind that got the Chinook name. - Rich

3 Likes

When I read this, I was going to make pretty much the same comment. Native Northwesterner here, also. Sometimes when I think of making a comment, I question myself because usually others do it before me and I don’t want it to be just another redundant post. It is interesting to me, too…that the word/name Chinook has that meaning in Colorado. I had no idea that it would be used in any context outside of the PNW.

7 Likes

I just wish the Chinooks would come back soon… It is too cold for December in Fort Collins.:snowflake::cloud:

4 Likes

The coldest temperature I have personally experienced was -44* one terrible winter in Fairbanks. I think I’m still too traumatized to talk about it. :eyes:

6 Likes

My wife was on the cross country ski team in high school in Fairbanks. I can’t remember exactly but I think she said they wouldn’t cancel a race unless it was colder than -20°F and not cancel practice unless it was -40°F.

EDIT: My wife just corrected me. Races were cancelled at -30°F and practices weren’t cancelled until it go to -60°F and, yes, sometimes they had to cancel practice.

5 Likes

I used to follow the aviation world, and I seem to remember that somewhere in the -40s and below there were issues that led to cancelled flights, not just because of the avgas freezing and the tires shattering, but also because the atmospheric-pressure compensation for the altimeters started getting wonky.

Never been below -34 myself, but sometimes it’s the higher temps that are less fun (try driving at night with freezing rain and temps in the 20s).

4 Likes

Currently in the 40s here in Seattle. Warmer today than it has been the past week… but looking like we might have snow on Christmas Eve so we’re excited about that!

2 Likes

I’m jealous. Since we moved to South Texas snow is just a memory. About 7 years ago we ha just enough sleet to start to show up on the side of the road. The whole of San Antonio shut down :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

So this is where they manufacture the data to perpetuate the global climate change myth. Gosh, that’s a lot of money for refrigeration to substantiate a hoax. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just sayin’.

6 Likes

Don’t you remember, that’s the reason for the hoax in the first place: all those postdocs living high on the hog on that grant money.

4 Likes

The mini-ice age about to hit the world due to declining sun-spot activity (starting in about…oh, four years or so) is gonna catch a lot of folks by complete surprise.

Gonna be interesting to watch… :wink:
Get your parkas prepped.

3 Likes

If they weren’t using all that energy to store all that ice we probably wouldn’t have global warming. Stupid scientists :rage::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I still have a copy of the Newsweek article from back in the 70s warning of the coming ice age and the global unrest if governments didn’t do something about it. The UN environmental commission was encouraging taking active measures to trap the heat so we wouldn’t all freeze and turn into lawless marauders.

I take all predictions of gloom & doom with a grain or two of salt.

Remember “peak oil”? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No, that might have been before I was paying attention…chuckle! What was peak oil? (I remember, vaguely, the global cooling, before the global warming thing - we had a Time magazine that had that all over the cover for years in the “contemplation room”.)

Wasn’t that what got fluorocarbons banned? Ozone layer something or other?

1 Like

I prefer indoor temps in the cozy comfortable range, thank you very much. :grinning: Y’all are crazy working in those temperatures! (Says the gal with a two degree comfortable range, lol.)

2 Likes

Peak Oil is the point in time when production of oil has reached its maximum and begins its decline - e.g. we can see when we’ll run out.

Unfortunately it doesn’t contemplate external or changing factors (like increased prices changing the value prop for extracting previously hard to extract oil or new technology that gets oil out of things like rock). Kind of like Malthus and food production/population growth/starvation.

It was first predicted to occur in the late 60s. Then it was the 70s. Then it was just after the turn of the century. Then it was “oops…maybe not for another 50 years”. Then this year it was “maybe never” because the rate of production continues to exceed models and the demand is changing radically. The use of alternatives for everything from fuel, transport, electricity production, and in general manufacturing seems has led to the latest theory that we’ll never hit peak oil because we’ll not need it for all the varied & sundry purposes we’re using it for now.

2 Likes

I was in elementary school then. When it came to research report time it was pretty much 40% the next ice age, 40% Ed Gein (the local cannibal) and 20% other.

3 Likes

Y’all had your very own “Hannibal the Cannibal”? That’s kind of scary… :hushed:

1 Like