Back vent?

When cutting wood, I’m getting smoke coming out the back of the GF from the long slot (see pic). I tried taping it up (which helped) but I’m wondering if that slot if necessary for ventilation?

The GF keeps a negative air pressure when operating properly. Air would normally enter that slot, not exit. If smoke is escaping it is usually an indication that something in the exhaust system is not working properly. Vent blocked, exhaust fan and grill dirty, hose too long. filter clogged, if you have the compact filter, etc.

11 Likes

It’s probably time for a good cleaning, I’ll check out those areas. Thanks!

Um…why do you have the entire upper part of your GF taped up? That could be part of your venting issue right there.

1 Like

As @Xabbess said, there should not be tape all over the Glowforge as these are not leak points. There are no leak points when the machine is working properly and is vented properly.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve hit this snag!

As @rpegg mentioned, the Glowforge keeps a negative air pressure when operating properly.

To help troubleshoot your exhaust, could you send me a few photos of your exhaust system? Specifically, please include pictures of the following:

1. The exhaust fan from the inside of the unit. To capture this photo:

2. Turn your Glowforge off

3. Open the lid

4. Using both hands, gently pull the printer arm towards you as shown below:

5. Move your phone or camera inside the Glowforge on the left-hand side, past the metal rail, pointed away from you towards the exhaust hose, to capture a photo like the one below:

6. A photo of where your exhaust hose attaches to the Glowforge, where your exhaust hose exits the room, and the path your exhaust hose takes from your Glowforge to the exterior vent or Compact Filter

7. The exhaust connection on the back of your Glowforge, with the exhaust hose removed:

8. Any area where you see smoke escaping from your Glowforge while printing

Once we can review these images, we’ll send over the next best steps.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.