Backpack friendly folding dice tower

All of the dice tower designs I have seen so far got me inspired to create a backpack friendly version. It folds down to about 1 1/2 inches tall.

Still need to tweak the tab widths to make the tray press fit but the tower part is pretty much there. The magnets are 1/8 x 1/16
Here’s the SVG. Enjoy!
Folding%20Dice%20Roller%20mk3%20swoop%20tray%20Final

82 Likes

Nice work. What materials did you use?

2 Likes

PG Medium Walnut Plywood, PG Medium Draftboard works pretty well too.

1 Like

You got good grain out of that walnut. Nice piece.

And the liner?

2 Likes

Turned out really nice! Thank you for sharing your file … I’m sure it will be enjoyed by many!

Cool! Scale it up and you’ve got a Murphy bed!

6 Likes

Very nice piece. Thank you for sharing.

The liner is self adhesive suade I found on Amazon. I’m not sure if I like it though, it’s very grippy so the dice stop about half way to the end.

2 Likes

Tandy makes good inexpensive suede, you might want to check it out for future projects. They sometimes have it on sale for $20 for a side. Check out their “super softy” suede. Nope the super softy is more expensive. You’d want their pigskin splits, they come in bright colors.

It’s “low pile” if that makes sense. It isn’t too grippy. You’d need to get contact cement to go with it, it’s really easy to glue liners in trays and boxes.

5 Likes

I think Murphy has a law about that, and the scales would itch terribly.

6 Likes

Thanks for the link! I’ll have to check that site out. Looks like a good place for leather supplies.

1 Like

Oh yeah Tandy is quite a place to browse if you have a location nearby. Also if you search the forums for Tandy you’ll find a bunch of stuff about people’s leather projects and sourcing.

1 Like

Finished up the tab sizing and added the press fit serrations now the whole thing is can be tapped together with a mallet. Enjoy!
Folding%20Dice%20Roller%20mk3%20swoop%20tray%20Final%20Serrated%20tabs

22 Likes

Hey there! I’d love to print this for my husband! How do I download this file on an iPad Pro? I tried a hold and save, but it didn’t work. Also tried to copy and paste, No luck. Any advice? Thanks in advance!!

Let’s try it this way. File attached J.

Folding Dice Roller mk3 swoop tray Final Serrated tabs.svg

7 Likes

Oh, fantastic!

The forum doesn’t deal with SVGs very well - it can help to zip them up before attaching.

5 Likes

Ok, I’ll give that a shot. Here’s the zipped file.

Folding Dice Roller mk3 swoop tray Final Serrated tabs.zip (8.84 KB)

6 Likes

Hi Thomas!! The zip file is the one that did it!! Thank you thank you!!!

1 Like

Excellent, enjoy!

This is soooo cool!!! What a neat project!! My husband loves it :blush::blush::blush:

6 Likes