Backpack friendly folding dice tower

so going from 3mm baltic birch to 5mm would be 166%? sorry - only on my third cup of coffee and i suck at math anyway. Son’s birthday coming up and I’ve got 5mm laying about…

1 Like

I don’t think that would be very “backpack friendly” at that point.

1 Like

A good example as you could make the interlocking parts in a box maker after sizing them on the GFUI.

Me too! Fortunately, computers are very good at it.

so my answer was right? wow.
Interesting site, but would not know where to start with that :slight_smile: :laughing:

1 Like

His D&D kit really wouldn’t fit in a backpack either… :slight_smile: Maybe 2 or 3. He uses milk crates to tote it around.

Yes that was half a joke but I go there when my math is inadequate (It is designed to try and figure out what you are talking about)
This is better for box design,

When I need a simple box I go to the feisti/boxes.py site.
Tried to do a dice tower myself but getting the baffles, ugg. massive fail. If I chipped up the scrap from the tests I did I could mulch a bush. Not that I’d mulch a bush with plywood chips, but you get my drift…

1 Like

I have a pile of such stuff, but now after a while I make a lot less of it. There are many nuances that become second nature after a while. Many folks use cardboard to make a model to check things. I use Revolution plywood mostly as it is the least cost per sq ft.

oops the page is gone :unamused:

How hard was it to put together? I don’t see directions. Were you just able to figure it out?

The only place I had to re do were the interior shelves that make the dice bounce around - but as long as you don’t hammer/glue as you go it’s easy to rearrange :slight_smile:

Thank - I was able to figure it out except for the circle parts - how do you make them not fall out are they glued with the little rectangle thing inside them?

They are the hinge - so they are glued to the inside box, and the outside box sits around them. Hopefully that makes sense!

Going through some old posts trying to learn more…on changing the size of the pattern to match the material you have, can you see if I understand this correctly?
If it’s for .25 inch wood and I have .125 (easy example:-) so that’s 50% less…if it go into inkscape and scale it by -.5 it should change the tab sizes so everything fits together? Or, have I oversimplified this. I have this issue constantly but short of editing every tab, don’t know how to fix it. i was hoping there was an easier answer.
By selecting the whole project…to scale in inkscape how/what do i change? Height/Width by -.5?
Thanks for any help you can give.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I haven’t tried to scale this. I’d suggest you try it out on inexpensive material of the same thickness if possible.

Thanks, i wasn’t actually wanting to scale this, just asking if this is how you scale in general. This is a great product, i do plan to cut it!!

1 Like

If it is that extreme it probably would not work great as you would in that case have a half size dice tower, though perhaps that would not be awful.

The case I did was take a tiny box for 0.125 material and made it for 0.18 material (i think as it was a while back) and the box grew to what was for me a preferable size.

You just scale everything together. not always great but always simple.

thanks, that was my ‘actual’ question. However, if everything is scaled i probably still need to edit tabs/slots?

Not really, the tabs are set to the thickness both ways. So if you are going from one size to another everything does that. Only the general size is the issue (and fitting on the Glowforge bed if getting a lot bigger). I had to re-arrange the parts to the box a bit due to that.

Thank you for the file… Here is my version of it.

4 Likes