Basic not cutting through

My glowforge basic will not cut the proof grade material I have used this machine a little I have wasted more material then anything I am getting frustrated

Couple of things can cause the machine to quit cutting through.

• Make sure the material is flat (I use Honeycomb Pins to pin it down) and that the tray is level and seated down in the dimples in the floor.
  • Clean the lenses and mirror using the instructions here in the Support section.

Swelling from humidity can also cause the machine to not quite make it through the materials with one pass, but if you check the cut with a piece of folded tape while being careful not to let the backing material shift on the bed, you can send a second cut to finish it and not waste any material. (Set any other operations to Ignore in the thumbnail column, but do not shift the design on the screen. It will print again in the same place if you haven’t moved it.)

If you still run into problems after trying these tricks, print the Gift of Good Measure on a sheet of pinned down draftboard or other Proofgrade material. If it fails to cut through completely, do a screen capture of the front and the back of the cut, and let Support know the time, date and time zone of the print so that they can look at the logs for your machine to see if there is a deeper problem that needs to be addressed.

It’s normal to occasionally run across a section that doesn’t quite cut through completely, but if it’s not coming pretty close, there could be an issue. If it is coming close, you might be able to get away with a slight speed adjustment to account for humidity swelling on the materials. (Which is what I do.)

2 Likes

There is a support page to help troubleshoot this:

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.