Basic vs Pro access to Design Catalog

I thought at one point I read that only Pro owners would be able to submit designs to the Design Catalog, but can’t find anything on the subject now. I’d like to know if contributing to the Design Catalog will be different for Basic vs Pro owners.

I really don’t think they know yet. I pressed dan at MFNY and he shared some on what they envision but also said they have very few details worked out.

That said, I don’t think basics will be restricted.

I don’t recall this distinction having been made before. Only that there is a possibility of user-submitted designs in the catalog. Nothing else definite that I can recall. This topic explores lots of potentials. It seems that the Free Laser Designs category is the place to share.

With that in mind, if folks are looking to monetize their designs and have Glowforge sell them, that is a potential scenario, but no distinction between Pro and Basic owners at all in design submission. I’m sure there will be designs that only work on a Pro, some day. At this point I don’t see a clear demarcation of any designs that are Pro only.

2 Likes

I don’t remember ever seeing anything to that effect either. I’ve been designing on a basic PRU from the get-go. I can’t imagine why they would limit it to Pro owners. :grinning:

i can’t imagine why they would limit submissions to the catalog by the type of machine the submitter owns. that seems self-defeating. your hardware has nothing to do with your design skills or technical competency.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies.
As I recall, there was some discussion about the ability to submit designs to the catalog as a way to add value to the Pro over the Basic. Maybe it was off-line. It was certainly a while ago.

I forgot about that thread.
Based on what @dan said in that link, people could post designs to the shop and sell them (:glowforge: probably taking a %).
Free designs are fine, but as a designer (Architect) I would like to think that a really good design would be worth paying for.
Hopefully they will get this figured out.

1 Like

I have a Pro, but there are a lot of people who have Basics who are way more talented than I. I would not think they would exclude them from the pool of available talent.

3 Likes

There was never any statement indicating a difference between Pro vs. Basic design submission. There has also been zero indication in the forum of when the submission process will begin, how it might work and officially even if it will happen. Always very vague.

4 Likes

I’m afraid I don’t know what you’re referring to - I don’t believe we ever said that.

2 Likes

This is the what I was talking about.
Specifically, the line about “Letting creative people make a living selling their designs” in reference to the catalog.

I think he was talking about any kind of difference between Pro owners and Basic owners being allowed to submit designs. They still plan to let people submit designs to the catalog one day…maybe after they finish shipping all the units out.

To open the catalog up now for submissions would give an advantage to people who received the machines early.

But it’s still a good time to be creating designs and testing them, so they’ll be ready to go when the time comes.

I do think there will be catalog submissions from the customers. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I realized that after I posted, but since I was the only one who tagged Dan I though it might have been me.

1 Like

No prob…other people probably wondered too. …most folks didn’t read all the posts for the last couple of years…they actually have lives. :smile:

Do not! Take that back.

5 Likes

I hear it’s a common thing. :wink:

1 Like

Who are you and what have you done with @Jules ? I know I have followed her since there is no life beyond this forum since that is the only place she is EVER at? :rofl:

3 Likes

Chuckle! Actually the forum only gets a fraction of my attention…I work from home, at a computer, and I multi-task very well.

Besides the forum has the ability to pop up new messages for a fraction of a second in the sidebar… and I speed read.

Drives my husband nuts. :smile:

(You’d be surprised at how much I type up for the forum that I don’t ever post…usually after calming down. ROFL!) :rofl:

5 Likes

I wonder who those responses may have been for…:smirk:

1 Like

@Jules the Energizer Hedgie :zap::zap::zap::rabbit2::drum::zap::zap::zap:

3 Likes