Battery Storage Boxes

And don’t forget to make one for used batteries. Maybe like a dumpster?

4 Likes

Left.

1 Like

I like the image facing right - my eye naturally wants to follow a line left to right (as in reading), so this image flows better for me.

4 Likes

I like positive facing right. Don’t know why…

1 Like

My wife will appreciate your design and display.

Currently the batteries are all thrown into a translucent plastic box.

3 Likes

Did you deep engrave a slot in the back & front pieces to slide the side walls in place for gluing?

2 Likes

From the general aesthetic sense, left looks better.

2 Likes

Same! Ours are still in the “container” that the batteries initially come in, but those are all stored in a plastic bin that you then have to sort through to get the batteries you want.

2 Likes

Better than mine. Mine are in the original packaging, scattered around the apartment. I probably have 2-3 dozen unaccounted for.

2 Likes

Yep! Kind of a very shallow mortise and tenon. It just helps to align and seat the sides against what you glue it to, which is inside the box. (Bottom too) :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I finally just centralized mine to my shop in the basement. Next, step…centralize them to one drawer!

This just made me think of something. Instead of using gravity to present the next battery, I think I might make my battery storage fit in one of my tool chest drawers. It would push the next battery forward via springs (kind of like how health products are pushed towards the front of the shelf in stores…deodorant is what I’m specifically thinking of as an example).

Maybe I’d do an extension spring (coiled or elastomer) in order to help push/pull the batteries towards the front…something else to think about!

13 Likes

Nice, though gravity feed are typically easier to load. They also let you FIFO, though modern batteries have such a long shelf life that is less of an issue.

4 Likes

Could do a gravity feed horizontally by putting a ramp into the box so the interior is higher on the filling end and lowest at the extraction end. No spring needed.

5 Likes

I like that idea!

3 Likes

Thought about this but my drawers (:blush: not my underwear…but my toolbox drawers…oh jeez, I can’t stop picturing my toolbox with whitey-tighties on…and nothing against whitey-tighties…oh boy…slap happy this afternoon…) are like 2" tall…maybe a little taller. I didn’t do the math on what angle it would be at for C-size batteries, but perhaps AAA and AA would work fine; however, that would take up some of my vertical real-estate in my drawer.

Also wasn’t sure how much drag there’d be between the battery as it rolls and the sides of the container. The end of the battery with the…errr, hmmm…stub (I’m a self-proclaimed machinist and the “stub” that’s left when facing a part on the lathe is commonly referred to as something that may offend enough people these days that I’ll refrain from saying it)

…so anyways, the side with the stub (hmm…I wonder if a pirate would get offended at me talking about his leg like this… :smirk: )

…so for real this time…the side with the stub wouldn’t be a concern because it is at the center of rotation so it is traveling less work is being lost through this interaction. But the other end that is flat could generate enough drag that a shallow ramp angle would not be enough to rely on gravity to present the next battery.
Furthermore, the force of the springs would help keep the batteries from becoming crooked and binding up.

4 Likes

A spring under the ramp end would let you load it easily and as you pulled batteries out the front the rear of the ramp would start to rise and the remaining batteries would slide until the last one is pushed out by the ramp reaching the top of its travel. A single spring pushing up would be easier to mount & manage than a couple of side pushers and not as likely to cause binding.

3 Likes

Yeah…yeah, that’d work! Nice! :+1:

Beautiful!!!

1 Like

For horizontal, you could do slight ramping inside the box with a feeding slot on the top. C and D cell could be filled from the back, single battery high. AA and AAA could do feeding from top front, double high, ramp to back, ramp to front. Those could fit nicely inside a 2" tall drawer.

9 Volt, lacking rolling ability, could rock the spring idea.

Alkaline batteries are now fine to throw out. They used to be made with heavy metals requiring recycling.

If it’s rechargeable, (NiCad) or has lithium in it, pretty sure it needs special treatment.

3 Likes