Battery Storage Boxes

Absolutely offer them! Why not!

Tax implications. :wink:

1 Like

Well, if the tax implications are too severe, you could always just share them here instead. Personally, I think they would be a great additions to the catalog. (I must admit, though, that if they were in the catalog, I would at least consider trying to design my own before giving up and buying the design.)

2 Likes

Chuckle! Well, itā€™s a bit soon to worry about itā€¦they might not need/want them. :wink:

And like you said, most people will try to make their own before they buy anyway.

Itā€™s still illegal for them to go to landfills in California. Theyā€™re considered hazardous waste due to the corrosive electrolyte. Theyā€™re required to be turned in to a household hazardous waste collection so the copper, zinc, and other metals can be recycled.

Well, Iā€™m a little on the lazy side in that I wonā€™t try to make my own if there is a free design out there that I already like. If there isnā€™t, I will mix my relative skill level (or lack thereof) with some possibly doomed effort prior to giving in and buying.

Most of my planned uses of the Glowforge are combining already existing items with customizing designs and graphics, though I also expect that I will be constantly expanding and working new ways to use it. I also intend to do some testing of the limits of the pro model. I also do want to make a few things decidedly my own. For instance, I need a new wallet and really want to make my own unique one.

6 Likes

Yeah, I think that kind of thing is going to be very popular in the catalog - the sort of thing you can personalize like a wallet or a decorative pouch or boxes - weā€™ve recently seen a couple of cool custom jobs from the betas, and @karaelena did a really nice custom wallet a while back. (And Dan did that awesome cool map wallet in the beginning.) :grinning:

(I hope somebody over there designs a girlā€™s wallet too. Mine could stand to be replaced with something custom.)

2 Likes

Oh, I am sure customizable items will fill the store. I do plan to take a page from some of the designing here and design a wallet from scratch specific to me. That one, I do not intend to share the design. Depending on how successful my ventures are, I may put some things in the catalog, just not my personal wallet.

Right now, I am just brimming with ideas to try in many different directions.

3 Likes

I think itā€™s illegal to throw just about anything away in California (except marriages)ā€¦:smirk:

11 Likes

hahahaā€¦ no.

1 Like

Iā€™m realizing that it really depends on the project! With my leatherwork, or components that I hope to use in my jewelry, yeah I want to design my own; with things like storage boxes or utilitarian items, why reinvent the wheel? Even with a lot of the personalized gifts I want to make, Iā€™m happy to customize an existing pattern.

This is not how I expected to feel going into it, and it may change as I become more comfortable with design software + this tool ā€¦ but for now? Iā€™m liking pre-existing projects and patterns a lot more than I thought I would! :wink:

7 Likes

Oh, thatā€™s excellent to hear! Maybe itā€™s just me, but itā€™s taking a lot longer to design and prototype in 3D than it did in 2D. :slight_smile:

If I had to do this for a living, Iā€™d be pretty much hungry all the time. :smile:

6 Likes

maybe you should do all your prototyping in chocolate to avoid that?

10 Likes

You are a genius! :smile:

3 Likes

Yes it does take a long time for us amateurs but I think back to the first thing I designed in F360 and how long it would take me to do the same one today and I am encouraged.
Weā€™ll get there!

2 Likes

It takes a long time for the pros as well. Iā€™ve seen how long it takes to design & refine mechanical enclosures (combinations of machined parts and injection molds) until they are perfect enough for commercial products. You just donā€™t understand until you do it yourself.

Though in some ways it can go faster. You have the vision. You know what you want. You donā€™t have to wade through endless input from others.

2 Likes

Funny, Iā€™m the opposite. Ask me to do 3D designs and itā€™s fast, but 2D is still a struggle.

3 Likes

Trying to learn from YouTube frustrated me a lot until I figured out that they do a lot of editing!

5 Likes

Thatā€™s one thing that helps me decide if I want to subscribe to a maker channel. Do they show their mistakes as well, or discuss the process that was off camera in some manner at least .

2 Likes

I would be really split on that, if I was producing a maker channel. You have to cut a lot of dead air, or be really good at entertaining talk. I look at it, and I say that absolutely nobody on the face of the planet wants to listen to me discuss the process for THAT long.

Ok, I do know one person that finds me that fascinating, apart from my cats, but I generally consider that a sign of questionable mental health, not and indicator that Iā€™m that interesting a person.

6 Likes