Bear with salmon... first stab at grayscale

Learned I need to got much darker with my grays… but happy with the details on my bear…

44 Likes

Beautiful.

How big is it?

1 Like

Wow, really nice job on this!

3 Likes

Really amazing bit of work :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Beautiful. You create such compelling expressions on your subjects faces.

2 Likes

That is one handsome bear!

2 Likes

Roughly 10 inch x 17 inches… the original pen and ink illustration was 50 x 40 inches

:crazy_face:

4 Likes

Thank you!!! I usually start with the eyes in my illustrations

I especially like the way you do the bear’s fur. That detail adds so much to the design. :grinning:

3 Likes

Zowie. Really nice.

2 Likes

Thank you :blush: I love details!! They show up in all my illustrations

2 Likes

Beautiful! I love your illustrations. What kind of wood?

This is on a large bamboo cutting board!! And thank you!!

1 Like

I love etching bamboo. It cleans up so easily with a soft toothbrush and dish soap. Unfortunately you lose the burn. :frowning:

AMAZING detail and art!!! How long did it take you to do the 50 by 40 size???

Yeah… I have noticed :unamused: Is there a better wood you would recommend for detailed work?

1 Like

42 years :laughing: honestly… about 2 weeks of full time work if I were to add it up. The piece sold the first day I debuted it at an art festival

21 Likes

Nice to see the artist as well as the art.

3 Likes

I actually like maple and the burn it gets. It has a nice look. You could use a dark wood like walnut but I don’t think you would get the same depth of image. Have you tried flooding the etch with color?

Not with wood! I used to etch copper, patina and sand off the top revealing the illustration… but that was ALOT of work. I will have to try it with wood. What would you recommend using to flood the wood?

1 Like