Because I had to

Really stunning! :heart_eyes: Does it fit the one on the back of the computer? Or perhaps if you engraved a serving tray so it would be an inlay, then it would work great as a serving tray :wink:

1 Like

Actually, I happened to toss the “Namaste Y’all” cutout on top of it while I was shuffling things around last night, and I think it makes the perfect background for that! I’ll have to grab a photo when I get back up there. (Y’all, my parents’ house is HUGE. It feels like a quarter of a mile from the MBR to the washroom where my GF is. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Gonna count the steps one of these times, just to see!)

9 Likes

Household ammonia full strength will dissolve that smoke stain almost instantly.

Nice work there!

5 Likes

What a delight to pull this beautiful piece from the Glowforge! It’s so beautiful!

4 Likes

So beautifully delicate. Love it.

1 Like

I like scorch marks

1 Like

Depending on your design intent it can be a feature. :sunglasses:

17 Likes

I made a few of these out of leather for a friend, they use them in their china cabinet

I like the one that says “Namaste in Bed”! :slight_smile: (Beautiful work, by the way!)

3 Likes

Gorgeous. I might have no choice but to make something similar one of these days :wink: I haven’t been able to use my GF for a few days because it’s -40 here. :frowning:

1 Like

I hope you are keeping it warm enough to live :cold_face: Even shut down there is a minimum temp to survive.

1 Like

same here been like that for a week now burrrr

My GF lives in my studio, which is a nice 20ish C. I really wish I had my air filter so I could still get stuff done during these cold snaps.

how many times did you pass through? Sometimes I notice with my glowforge making delicate designs it doesn’t cut through on certain bits. I’m using GF grade wood. Its quite frustrating sometimes because I waste the material. I’m going to reach out to support and see if they can help me. Any advice. Thats a beautiful mandala.

I only had to cut it once. :slight_smile:

If you check your items before moving the material (use a piece of tape to lift up the cut piece while holding the rest in place) you can rerun the cut if it doesn’t cut through, since it will cut in the exact same place. The question is why it’s happening, though. If you’re using PG settings on PG, and your optics are all clean, and your material is perfectly flat, and you’ve used Set Focus, your cuts should be successful.

Beautiful mandala!!! Would you mind sharing your settings? I was cutting mandalas today on baltic birch, and they either didn’t cut or got scorched.

We can’t discuss non-PG settings in this area, but you can check over in Beyond the Manual for lots of suggested settings for BB. That said, though, that’s just a starting point if you want to do super thin cuts like this.

I always dial in my settings for a new batch of BB using @evansd2’s method (see below). My goal for something this delicate is to find the settings that will cut through the wood and not totally through the masking on the back, which takes some fine-tuning. :slight_smile:

Check out #6 in this post:

2 Likes

Wow! That is so beautiful! It looks so delicate. Great job.

1 Like

But placed inside a tray, would be fine. Maybe even fill with resin and then add your piece.

1 Like

I like the smoke marks. I made some earrings that had them, and I like the look. I was going to paint them, then thought “nah.” Definitely makes each one an individual piece.