Bed Size vs Cutting Dims - lots of wasted material

To prevent the lost margins I cut a full sheet down to accommodate my designs. These two pieces are a full 12 x 20 piece of material…

Google Photos

The cost is having to run two ops instead of one.

11 Likes

You REALLY got all the goody out of those. :rofl:

5 Likes

Have you run the calibration routine? Most everyone who has done so gets sub-mm placement accuracy.

2 Likes

Who would have 3 cookies left to bake??? Have you never heard of raw cookie dough??? :crazy_face:

8 Likes

The bed accommodates 18" x 20" material, not just 12"x20". Sure, it can’t cut the extra 6" of material in the same operation but you can still utilize that dead space at the top/rear edge of the tray to maximize material use.

Go with an 18"x24" sheet and you lose no material if you utilize the front door. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, exactly!

1 Like

Making the earsavers I did not have near that much left over. There was not even a rectangle to show the hole :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Oooh, I didn’t know about this; can you please let me know where I can find those instructions? Mine is definitely off about 1/4 to 1/3rd of an inch from the top…

Thank you!

Search the forum for camera calibration.

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=Camera%20Calibration

Lots of threads about this, they’re worth reading. The one you’ll probably want to start with is a few down the list:

Search is your buddy!

2 Likes

Original design bed size got fixed as a hardware thing. The usable area was a larger target that maybe didn’t get fulfilled as much as they would like, but it has increased over time.

Proofgrade was something that wasn’t even announced during the crowdfunding window. So having material available with those specific dimensions isn’t even part of the equation. There were early discussions before Proofgrade was announced about having to cut down standard 24" sheets and waste them.

They could have had the materials line always part of the plan, but I’d say the hardware/size constraints of the machine, especially with optical centering, were the driving forces.

And France gets food for another month!

2 Likes

I used to love that as a kid. My wife is disinclined to allow that anymore - salmonella :frowning: I’m sure the odds are pretty low but the odds of getting the stink-eye are virtually 100% so no cookie dough in 30 years. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I can’t in good faith like this post…:sob: my wife makes cookie dough balls and likes to freeze them before baking. Then she gets mad and confused when a few days after freezing, there are less balls than when she put them in the freezer. :man_shrugging::shushing_face:

5 Likes

You know that’s a myth to keep you guys from eating all the cookie dough, right? :wink: :shushing_face:

4 Likes

There’s a salmonella free cookie dough bar (yes, you’re meant to eat it like ice cream and in the same quantities!) at Ponce City Market in Atlanta. I think it’s called Batter?

2 Likes

Can attest that it was quite good, at least before COVID.

CDC estimates Salmonella bacteria cause about 1.35 million infections, 26,500 hospitalizations, and 420 deaths in the United States every year. Food is the source for most of these illnesses.

https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/index.html

They’ve really committed to the gag if they made this site just to prank us.

2 Likes

Joke.

1 Like

Fun fact: They’ve completely eliminated salmonella in Denmark.

2 Likes

Billions of Asians eat raw egg in hot pot sauce (raw egg + sha cha/bbq sauce + soy sauce). Just sayin…

2 Likes

Sukiyaki is not the same without the raw egg. And katsudonburi. Also my mom used to feed us homemade milkshakes with a raw egg mixed in when we were sick, to try to get protein into us. And I’ve probably eaten mountains of raw cookie dough in my lifetime. Not to mention eggnog, and homemade ice cream…

Then again, this was my car seat, and it didn’t kill me, so maybe I just lead a charmed life…

6 Likes

Lucky you! Your parents must have cared. Ours was a flat slightly padded board that folded down across the back seat (eliminating the leg space) and we were allowed to bounce around on it and had to crawl on our knees to get from one side of the car to the other. (I’d forgotten that…it was great for napping on those 18 hour road trips.) :joy:

Probably wasn’t the safest idea. We did tend to wind up in a little pile against the back seat if dad hit the brakes.

2 Likes