Bed Size won't recognize more than 10 inches for Artwork

I’m not sure what is going on but thought maybe someone can point me in the right direction. My glowforge won’t recognize any artwork that’s bigger than 10 to 10.5" in height. My design won’t show the top of the material nor will it let me place artwork within the parameters of space it used to.

In the attached images you can see my wood is a little under 11" but I can’t use an 11" line to trim the top. The 0x0 placement won’t show the top of the material no matter where I place it on the bed. I’ve tried cleaning and have restart it many times. Anyone know what would cause this or how to fix it?

Try 10.947". And you can pull the material towards the front slightly. Completely cover the grid at the front.

4 Likes

But shouldn’t I be able to see and cut up to 11.5"? I know we can use the whole bed size but I know I was able to see more of the material before.

No, it’s always been slightly shy of 11" on the height measurement. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Yes, the view did change slightly with the advent of the passthrough software.)

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll just cut it in two rounds to get that extra .25" LOL! Hopefully I can keep it straight. I just like the finished edges of the GF better than a saw blade. :slight_smile:

Brace it against a side if you can…it keeps things straight. I use wooden cut rectangles against the opposite lip (called spacers) to square things up before cutting.

Or you can rotate it to the horizontal and cut all the way across in one go. You have 19.5" in the horizontal direction.

1 Like

I’m an idiot. :woman_facepalming: Of course my two cuts didn’t line up! I don’t know why I was thinking I couldn’t rotate it to cut it. Doing that now. Thanks again @Jules!

4 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve hit this snag. I appreciate you working through some of the suggestions @Jules provided.

Your Glowforge bed can accommodate materials measuring 18 x 20.4”. Your Glowforge has a maximum printable area of approximately 11″ (279 mm) deep and 19.5″ (495 mm) wide, and it’s reduced somewhat when the laser operates at high speed, as it can take space for the laser to decelerate. This is why you are finding that the printable area is closer to 10.5 or less.

This means not all of the bed is displayed, or available to be printed on, so there will always be about an inch of space on the left. This material can be reused as scrap later for small pieces. For example, a lot of customers use small pieces of scrap to print these pins available in the free laser design section: Honeycomb bed holdown pins

I hope this information helps!

It’s been a while since we’ve heard from you, so I’m going to close this thread.

If you run into any more trouble, let us know at support@glowforge.com or start a new thread. We’ll be happy to take a look!