Belt tension? Did I mess up?

In cleaning the other day, I was re-assembling and can never get the belt on…I always have to have help. So, I came across a youtube to use your hex wrench and loosed the screw on the right side wheel. After doing so my husband said to never do that! So, I put it back…or thought I did and had him replace my belt. I can’t seem to cut through 100% since. I am getting sections in a design that just don’t quite cut through.

My belt doesn’t appear to have much movement in the half with the test of bounce 1 side - how doe the other move. But, is there a magic spot where that right wheel goes and maybe I didn’t get it back in place?

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum.

When the belt tension is incorrect, there is usually distorted engraves and prints rather than items not cutting through. When things don’t cut as expected, the things to check are that the material is absolutely flat on the honeycomb tray, the tray is seated properly with no debris under the feet, set focus was used before cuts, all optics are clean, and all fans are clean.

Maybe provide a picture of what didn’t cut through and also information about what material this happened on and what settings were used.

3 Likes

@xobyjessica I am so sorry your Glowforge printer is not cutting through your material after tightening the belt. Typically, what you’ll find if the belt is to tight or not tight enough is the print results have become skewed to a certain degree.

Can you provide a photo of your most recent print that did not cut through, front and back? Please also let me know what date and rough time the print was completed.

I’d like to have you print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade material. This uses known settings and on known material which will provide me a good baseline on how your Glowforge printer is performing. I’ve included some instructions below.

Could you please do the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge, then turn it back on

2. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place Proofgrade Draftboard in the bed and load the Gift of Good Measure design.

3. Set the score and engrave steps to ‘ignore.’ Print the Gift of Good measure using the default settings. Allow the print to finish.

4. When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture of the bed updates.

5. Check the completed print:

• If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut, please let us know the date and time of the print

• If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you saw the issue with, and let us know the results.

6. If the issue still occurs, please let us know the date and time of the finished print.

Once I have your photos and results I will be able to investigate the best next steps.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.