Bendbox experiment

Wow! Nice corset box! You pulled off some serious curves on those sides! (Rather like @rbtdanforth’s cylinders.) :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Wow, your Quixotic quest is paying off!

I love both your use of the SM tools in Fusion 360 and your use of jigs in assembly.

Like so many things posted here, I don’t have a use for a corset box, but the technics you have shared will stick in the back of my head and be used at some point.

Thanx

7 Likes

That is really cool! My first Glowforge project was to do something like that only round. It did not work out near as well :cry: I had visions of a box with a colonnade around the outside. Kinda like a Greek temple.

5 Likes

Whoa! Nice work, baby bro!

5 Likes

Wow. Love this. Great curves

5 Likes

Amazing! Kinda looks like an architectural piece on the side of a building to me.

I wonder if one could make living hinges right on the tabs, to make them match the curves and slants better? Probably not, or at least not without plenty of glue.

3 Likes

This is a terrific piece and write up. May be showing my age but looks like Mae West box to me.

4 Likes

With a fine-cut hinge like I used, it might work…

2 Likes

Do it! Do it!

3 Likes

A quick Google search for Mae West box (or corset box, mentioned earlier) was unproductive… Though it’s a stretch to call mine a box when it has no top or bottom in this iteration!

1 Like

Mae West was an old time movie star - silent to talkies) and the nick name for a life jacket.

3 Likes

Major kudos! Love your experiment! I get very excited with Fusion possibilities, have zero time to get where I’d like to be.

2 Likes

You could try making various shapes, instead of four sides, try 6 or eight, or an odd number. The more sides you have, the more round it becomes, until you have a column. Experiment with different materials like acrylic and now you have the potential for colored lamps.

2 Likes

Did fusion 360 come up with the stagger logirythem?

1 Like

There is also the possibility of soaking or steam bending like so

Though I was not able to get more complex than cylinders :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Here is the same workflow entirely in Fusion 360
https://youtu.be/qLjHWRs-iiI

1 Like

I watched it SEVERAL times before attempting this. :grin:

1 Like

After posting this I ran across a previous exploration of this theme that was quite extensive. Maybe I can find it again, it was impressive.

Do you mean the hinge cuts? I added those in inkscape.

Aha!

2 Likes

I have held the Bendbox in my hands. I couldn’t stop stroking its curves – it is SOOOOOOO sexy! (And I mean that in the most G-rated way possible; I just can’t think of a better word for how it DEMANDS to be touched!)

3 Likes