Beta day - five (Fitted Gauge Box)

@nick07lee
Hi Nick, it is an exploded box drawn in Fusion 360.

1 Like

So I guess a small circle would have been useful in our kitchen…? If that is the answer I’m guessing it is really important in Corian made things.

3 Likes

@jkopel - thanks for working this in between dinner and life.
Nice job! I think I mighr explore a neodymium magnetic closure instead of a mechanical latch.

Cool to finally have your instrumentation garaged!

3 Likes

The more brittle the material, the more important it is. Probably not needed at all in ductile metals and woods.

3 Likes

Wow. Fantastic work!

2 Likes

Nice work! Those are some good lookin gauges. You should put in a sun roof for em and mount it on the wall

3 Likes

Thank you for explaining that - with pictures and everything. I love science brought to my level. Happy to learn something new this morning.

1 Like

Yeah, sorry that was confusing.
I agree they are totally unnecessary on (ply)wood.
I should have posted that on the makeabox.io thread, since I like the work he is doing and want to use it on some acrylic boxes.

@thetonybeyer thanks for linking to the actual Ponoko post, that would have cleared things up.

@brandtmeister That is a great idea, and had I the foresight to dig out the box of hinges first I might have tried it. Instead I went the old fashioned way and just held the hinges on there and poked holes with an awl.

@terence and @pomwah thanks for the detailed comments and explanation!

@cynd11 hieroglyphics happen. :smirk:

@printolaser I am a huge fan of magnet catches, but this will live in the tool box with my micrometers and calipers and such. Magnetized micrometers suck, they get swarf stuck all over them.

@takitus hmmm :sunny: not a bad idea to make smaller boxes so they can wall mount near where I use them. Might need a redesign though since they would all fall out when I opened it.

6 Likes

I thought that as soon as I posted :rolling_eyes:

1 Like

Oh…ouch! :frowning:

Yes and that is a bummer!

Just a thought, I know that they make “perfect” color match cements for corian that can fill gaps. You can probably get a countertop contractor to cut out that crack with a router and fill it with matching cement.

Yes. Maybe. But the way everything sits on top each other, marble on Corian I think it’s too much work though. I probably should confront the carpenter about it but I also want to keep a good relationship to him since he is the best one in Sweden for Corian… Especially when the GF comes. We are gonna have to rebuild it in 5 yrs anyway for other reasons so we will just live with it I guess. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Maybe you should forward him that article =P

2 Likes

ya its to bad because a simple stop drill would have prevented that from happening :frowning:

Those relief holes work well on a windshield crack too.
With a diamond bit and a squirt bottle you can put a radius at the end, and the crack has nowhere to go.

Not a real fix, the crack seriously compromises the structural integrity of the glass, but it can get you by for a while in a pinch.

@Evelina, in my experience that is pretty tough stuff,
If you plan to resurface the same cabinetry, I would look closely at the level between them for a discrepancy.
I think there could be a support issue involved.

On earth, perfection I’d difficult to attain. Slab stone installers carry a selection of shims to achieve uniform support.
Pull a drawer, look along the back. My guess is the corner is high.
Any difference in elevation at the end of either leg of the top would focus the stress on that corner.
Just a thought.

6 Likes

I can’t really see under, it’s all built in. But with a newly downloaded spirit level on my phone it seems as though you are right. A 1 degree tilt. (The far back corner) Well spotted! Still does not make it better though…

1 Like

Awesome! I keep seeing all these simple laser cut boxes and thinking, “Okay, great… I could make an empty box.” Never thought about how to add that second layer cutout so everything sits in it’s own place—at least, not that easily… Suddenly, I’m thinking of all kinds of things I want to put in “an empty box.” Keep sharing—you’re giving us great ideas!

6 Likes

I love how this came together, its fantastic. Also I collected a new word! Swarf! :smiley: I wonder what the laser version could be, because I come home covered in it every day. :wink:

4 Likes

The same I believe…
“Fine chips or filings of stone, metal or other material produced by a machining operation.”

I think that encompass ablated material, but I may be mistaken.

1 Like

@Shell - glad to hear you’re hammering on a 'forge
(I presume) that much!