Beta Project: 1:12 Scale Bench

I have some tips bookmarked (well one version anyway).

Instructables - 10 laser tricks

6 Likes

Nice, I didn’t have that one. I have this instead from Make: http://makezine.com/2013/10/23/tutorial-laser-cutting-techniques-and-projects/

6 Likes

Thats what I do too, cut the inner cuts first otherwise your focal length will be off if you elevate your material…which is a good idea to make sure you know that it has cut all the way through.

3 Likes

Will you partner with @chadmart1076, please? Pretty please?

PLEASE!!!

6 Likes

It looks great. And besides my niece wanting it for her toys, the way it looks would be awesome for some sort of covering over electronics that need air flow.

4 Likes

The software will order the cuts inside to outside automatically, right?

4 Likes

In my limited experience with other cutting software, that is a setting. Other common setting are: shortest path, small to large, and the inverse of each.

5 Likes

Very cool! Love the inspiration and execution. I know that bench too. :slight_smile:
Nice work. Thanks so much for sharing!

Did you cut the basswood dowels as well? Looks like its a perfect fit. Any kerf compensation or whatever? Did you sand or finish with and stain or anything? Looks sharp!

2 Likes

do let us know if and when you recollect! :wink:

1 Like

I purchased the dowels and cut them flush with a razor knife after assembly. I did a test on a small range of hole sizes to account for the kerf before cutting the final. No glue, sanding, or finishing. Thanks Ryan!

9 Likes

Great to see public beta users expressing their creativity with the tool we are all waiting for!
Thanks for contributing your time and sharing with us all! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Very nice job! Now to GF some graffiti like “I :heart: GF” engraved in the leg… :grin:

4 Likes

Kind of like this? Archi-Depot

4 Likes

I saw a whole variety of those during our family trip to Tokyo! Utterly amazing, and something I’m sure will inspire many designers.

3 Likes

Don’t we have a member that does amazing miniature modeling ( the hoel room with little luggages, etc). I’ll have to look back through the forum. Dan - assuming you were to create a tiny checkerboard out of light and dark 1/8 wood, what do you think the smallest (single color) square the GF could cut?

Would you settle for an etch? (I’ve assembled some laser-cut models with stopped-cut “sprues”, and those are typically well under 1/16, some more like 1/64)

1 Like

It would depend on the material (different woods are different densities). The smaller the piece, the more it might be “singed”, and the denser the wood, the less.

I have this handy - it might get you a sense of the scale of the finest possible detail by looking at the corner of one of the triangles. I’d estimate that you could get a 0.01" piece, but that’s very rough.

25 Likes

Thanks so much for the reply ! Exceeded my expectations !!!

2 Likes

Is this grid/hatchmark all laser cut lines?

I cannot see any reason for such a thing other than an endurance test. But I had never pictured the endurance tests being quite THAT brutal.

I wanna go sit in a corner and cry for the poor laser you made do this.

11 Likes

Unless it was a Glowforge. In that case I’m cheering! :mega:

EDIT) It is possible that they were trying to make some of this, ligneah

5 Likes