Beta Project: Name Wall Art

My daughter asked if I could make her a cut out of her name to put in her room.
So, I took the idea and ran with it. :slight_smile:

I created a vector outline of her name using Illustrator, and connected things manually with the pen tool where I needed to in order to make a 1-piece cut out.

Once I had a working finished outline I figured I could push this simple idea to the max and try all 3 laser operations in one large project. Engrave, Score, & Cut.

I generated a halftone pattern to engrave and added a scoreline around the edge of that, leaving a thin ‘stroke’ around the entire thing.

I did some tests at a smaller scale (reduced size in the glowforge print screen) to see how it would look, then ran it full size for a final piece. :bulb: :glowforge: :boom:

A reduced size test

Just finished

And then…
Actual size (as big as I could fit it)

Just finished on the :glowforge: still…

Holding her new artwork!

And hung above her door…

Turned out great in the end and she loves it. :smile: :heart:
Also, I now need to make one for every member of the family. :wink:

Thanks for checking this project out!
:proofgrade: :glowforge: :thumbsup:

-R

85 Likes

That pattern came out awesome–very good design!

3 Likes

Really lovely! I love the pattern fill.

4 Likes

Nice! I love how the halftone came out. I was just doing some for my daughters and their friend as well. I’ll try and get those posted soon. I was just using some old boxes to cut mine out of cardboard though, not as nice as this wood one turned out :slight_smile: Great work!

4 Likes

That’s such a great use of the pattern!

5 Likes

Great idea using the pattern! Love it! :relaxed:

3 Likes

Excellent!

2 Likes

That came out delightful. Great application.

2 Likes

I love the halftone pattern! Such a great idea for a fill, and the scoreline really gives it an elegant touch. I suppose this is maple plywood. Nice!

6 Likes

Very nice with the halftone. Just one suggestion: sometimes you can get a little more size going on the diagonal (although it’s kinda more wasteful for material).

2 Likes

That’s lovely. I can see why everyone in the family would want one. Careful of friends and family you invite over for a visit, they will all want one too!

2 Likes

There’s nothing quite like being able to make something that the people in your life actually want. That pattern works so well there.

5 Likes

Gosh! This is just beautiful. I love how you did engraving and scoring in it. Inspiring!

4 Likes

Great idea! Turned out beautiful. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Oh, that looks spectacular! :squeeee::smiley:

2 Likes

That looks awesome!

ooh, looked at the rest of the pictures… it’s a lot bigger than I thought at first!

…maybe some UHB tape or some stand-offs to replace the pushpins…
(silly little thing, but it catches my eye like a rolex held on with timex bands :nerd:)

6 Likes

That’s just so cool. Very will done.

1 Like

You need to do this again with mirrored acrylic!

That is awesome! I love the halftone pattern… Nice touch!

How’d I miss this for over a month? Very nice.

3 Likes