Beta project - seven (Acrylic Stacking Boxes with Living Hinge)

I was always under the impression that the adult pencil would be the shorter ones and the younger pencils are of average size of about7.5"

2 Likes

Adult pencils, when left alone in the wild, can grow to be over 14 feet in length

Artist: Jonna Pohjalainen

43 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

Awesome

1 Like

Now, THAT is funny! Can’t help but wonder now, what the pencil sharpener looks like…although it appears that these were sharpened using a giant pen knife.

4 Likes

It’s a big pencil that sharpens with a chainsaw!

4 Likes

There actually IS a machine…

9 Likes

that would come in really handy if you had a balista…

15 Likes

We really are getting pretty flaky… I like that.

2 Likes

Please tell me there’s a video of that thing firing!

3 Likes

Thanks to the BBC:

11 Likes

That is awesome! 67 feet! Hah! I try to find Punkin’ Chunkin’ every fall because I’m always fascinated by it!

1 Like

Peter Gabriel does heavy metal? Who knew? :smile:

2 Likes

I was going to say - I’m had lots of luck with birch for the living hinge. :wink:

I love watching you guys figuring out this stuff! It breathes life into those of us who have been at it a long time. <3

7 Likes

How have the Acrylic Stacking Boxes held up after 9 month?

2 Likes

Really great. Quite inspiring!

No, 125 yards!

Have you thought about reconfiguring the design so the scrap cutout from the top can be used for the bottom? Or does the kerf not allow it?

In regards to the wood type, you don’t have enough of a hinge mechanic to go off of, having less hinge area means less flexibility for sure

Maybe not this many but you definitely want a closer grouping to accommodate for the radius of the curve. I don’t know that you have enough material for the radius of the curve mentioned but then again I’d have to look at the file deeper

1 Like

Nice idea for stacking/nesting boxes.
Some time ago I experimented with tapered living hinge geometry:

The tapered living hinge would make another way to get nesting. The cup handle had an inner radius of curvature of ~ 0.35 inches. This was with plywood not acrylic.
Your acrylic boxes are such a clean design. Thank you!

4 Likes