Beta project twelve (Acrylic in Wood Inlay)

This is really nice. Think you @jkopel for continuing to share your creative ideas and how they’ve worked out as you beta test the Joshforge II :grin:

2 Likes

This is soooo epic! Inlays, photo engraving, signs, etc are what I am really looking forward to

4 Likes

Very nice job!! Love the acrylic inlay - just thinking about what kind of backlit things you could do with that idea using a single led ( or cheap tealight leds) behind/under it.

2 Likes

I’ve asked Josh not to answer public questions, and he’s a very nice guy, so this does nothing except put him in an uncomfortable situation.

7 Likes

awesome, beautiful work, JOB WELL DONE!!!:grin:

1 Like

This is a lovely piece. The acrylic looks great against the wood. The 45° angle of the grain in the fourth picture took me off guard at first until I remembered that the Glowforge G doesn’t sit flat but balances up on the point, making the grain nicely horizontal in the final orientation. Excellent attention to detail.

2 Likes

I picked up some old typewriter key covers from a seller at a street market that were used as cuff links. Had always wanted something like that. This piece really demonstrates a cool idea for earrings or cuff links using initials.

6 Likes

My prize received! You can imagine my joy to find this wonderful piece of Glowforge-created jewelry in my mailbox this afternoon! My many and sincere thanks to Josh for sending this to me. First the envelope, complete with little ‘Joshsticks’ on the label;

The prize from within;

Josh, it’s beautiful! (I love silver)…and so exciting to realize that it was actually made on a Glowforge…an amazing machine that all of us here will have for our very own.

And I just so happened to have a length of red silk cord to hang it on…so now I am wearing my talisman. Go forth…and create…art at the speed of light.

Sincere appreciation and delight is emanating from here…

39 Likes

It’s awesome!!

2 Likes

My pleasure, it was a fun thing to make and I really enjoyed combining the ultra modern laser cut making with the old school silver work.
Enjoy it!

15 Likes

Well Done Sir.

3 Likes

That was truly magnificent, Josh. Wow.

3 Likes

@jkopel May I ask a question? besides that one. …On the back of the trinket…could the Joshforge2 have inscribed a name or something?..Or is this trinket too small?.Just curious. :thumbsup: Grayt job BTW.

2 Likes

I think it could have used thermark or something similar to mark it but metal especially silver is hard to get energy into fast enough to prevent it dissipating before doing work.

2 Likes

yeah…reason I asked is…I thought that silver is practically soft to work with and even harder to laze.

But…

3 Likes

that’s pretty sweet. would be neat if the acrylic was back lit to make it glow. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

backlit… hmm. I wonder if glow-in-the-dark paint on the inside of the metal disc behind the wood and acrylic would get enough light to charge up through the acrylic and then light up the logo when the lights go out? would likely need clear acrylic with frosted edges to allow sufficient transmission both ways.

2 Likes

If the face or back are scratched I know by gently heating the surface will clear it. I use a heat gun to do this. :smile:

3 Likes

Nice tip!
acrylic is a very malleable material in creative hands.

2 Likes