Beta Project: Vinyl Record Frames

Excellent post! Love your finished product. I’ve been thinking about some different kinds of frames myself. This added some new sparks to that flame :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Very nice. I like the evolution. But just one design question that might depend on the wood you have available: is there a reason the joints have to be at the corners? Might be easier to align and clamp if the joints were elsewhere.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for the detailed write up on your experience. It will help so many of us who aren’t experienced in woodworking or lasers too. You are awesome and your frames turned out fabulous!!!

5 Likes

Thanks for the meticulous documentation. I especially appreciate the point about making some type of key to assist in the corner glue-up. Little things like that make a difference.

6 Likes

Nice job and tutorial. The nice thing about a frame like this is that you could embellish it. maybe laser a few musical notes (simple or elaborate) on the sides/ edges. If you went to c oncert of the band, scan and engrave the concert ticket. Names, dates, do a 45 of your wedding song frame with date engraved. lots of ideas for vinyls and wooden display frames !! :thinking:

5 Likes

Frames are certainly on my list of projects. (In my case, frames for my backlog of embroidery projects that have been finished but not yet framed.)

Beta projects like this really give me the feeling that I’ll be able to jump in and get going quickly, thanks to learning from beta testers’ mistakes. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Try a Danish Oil finish or Wipe-On Poly from Minwax. Both are more forgiving than traditional stain/poly finishing and easy wipe-on/wipe-off. You get really nice finishes with less effort than stain and poly with brushes or sprays.

9 Likes

Thanks… yeah. I have used Danish oil before, but I didn’t think it really darkened the wood much, but really brings out the grain and does turn out beautifully :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is exactly the starting point for me on this. Used the files he provided and did my own customizations, revisions and fixes to make it work on the GF! :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks everyone! Positive feedback from this community feels really good. Thank YOU! :smiley:

6 Likes

Great work…and it just gets better as you continue.
All out of likes again today so :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

6 Likes

Is there a glass/plexiglass cover on those? It didn’t look like it in the photos, and if indeed there is not, you could just slide the album up by pushing on the front, and you wouldn’t need a finger hole at the bottom. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This indeed is perfect! I have a few favorite albums, but no turntable anymore, and this would be great for it. Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

They have different shade levels available now. Gives you options. That and multiple coats help make it darker too. I’m a big fan of wipe-on finishes because there are no brush marks and the ones that are stain/topcoat in one are just what I need in my time-starved life :smile:

5 Likes

Nice piece of inspiration there!
I too am a fan of album art, and have a bunch of classics sitting on shelves in a closet.
I have been needing some art for my walls, and I have had it all along!

I second the oil finish, lots of experience with it, and always good. Practically every piece of woodwork I ever did I finished to 600 mesh, and used Danish oil from natural to dark walnut.
Also the idea from @PlGHEADED will contribute!

5 Likes

This actually makes me want to go buy pink floyd albums.

18 Likes

:laughing: I have every release and single of theirs on vinyl up thru ‘Dead Cities’, and most of the rest of their output since on digital. Good on ya for recognizing one of the greats!

2 Likes

I helped pay for college by building & selling laser shows on the internet, and Dark Side was my standard test.

12 Likes

Excellent. Now, that is next level …

I’ll post other PF in the follow ups :slight_smile:
I unfortunately don’t have Dark Side on vinyl.

1 Like

v3 with Black Satin Spray Paint :slight_smile:

25 Likes