Betas, Maker Faire, Production

Thanks @dan! Just thinking it could be cool to have an intro booklet that comes with the machine, also include a couple tear-offs sheets “activities” with the sample substrates so the new owners can “test” and learn right away. It is such a tactile-driven product and the strategist/designer in me says “don’t forget the people who love beauty and simplicity, in printed form!” That was what really made me invest: The simplicity, beauty and innovation of creating and marking objects for the physical world. This is almost counter-culture in our “all-digital/cloud based” era.

4 Likes

sorry @dan. I’ll get it right. 15 minutes from Power up to first print.

I guess you really can’t guarantee the time it takes to pick up the box from the front door, move it to the “forever home”, unbox the machine, hook up the exhaust, admire the view… before turning it on.

15 minutes from power on to first print seems a lot easier to accomplish.

5 Likes

now i’m just sitting here trying to yell “squeee” in as deep of a throaty growl as I can manage.

10 Likes

In my head it sounds more like a kind of laugh or chuckle that the Ghost of Christmas Present would do from Muppets Christmas Carol.

“Come in and know me better man!”

4 Likes

Is there a manly version of squeee? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not judging – just having a hard time envisioning it :wink:

5 Likes

shhhhhh don’t question the man sqeeeee :wink: just let it happen.

(If no one is around to hear it, does it really matter? hmmm)

6 Likes

Okay - but I think that you should provide video proof when the time comes! For educational purposes.

6 Likes

I do plan on videotaping the unboxing, setting up, and first cut sooooooo it might happen…

4 Likes

14 Likes

Speaking of Sqeee, I did a little happy dance when I got my e-mail about my tickets to the Seattle Maker Faire and it included this little jewel: https://makerfaireseattle.com/attend/presentations/laser-leathercraft/?source_no=2196&utm_source=NL-160909-minimaker16&utm_campaign=NL-160909-minimaker16&cmp=1&utm_medium=HTMLEmail

3 Likes

That’s us! They asked us to reprise the Maker Faire Bay Area talk and make some other lucky child jewelry!

8 Likes

Looking forward to shaking your hand and personally thanking you for being awesome. I would hug you, but it might be awkward…especially since I’m 5’7", I’d be hugging your waist. Maybe just a selfie. :wink:

9 Likes

Your call. I’m good with any or all of the above. :wink:

7 Likes

You are 5’ 7" and you’ll only be hugging his waist… I’m 5 Feet and ZERO inches… guess I get to hug Dan’s knees? :thinking:

7 Likes

I’m 6’4" also so speaking from experience, if your 5’ then think of it more like he would be hugging your head.

Personally I would ask him to take a knee or just go with a handshake if I were so fortunate.

I do mean fortunate. Honestly, the “how’s the weather up there” comments get old and haven’t been funny since before I was born. I also don’t ‘fit’ well in alot of cars and spaces.

The St. Louis Arch comes to mind.

9 Likes

I really feel for you guys.
How about showerheads?
I’m 6’, and even that is too tall for lots of shower-heads, backseats, and of course the dreaded “flying economy and having the seat in front of you recline” scenario.

11 Likes

You and I both struggle! I can stand up straight and not hit my head on the overhead suitcase compartment in a plane! I fit perfectly in a smart car but I prefer a big SUV, cuz let’s face it nothing else fits in a smart car. Buying groceries and not being able to reach the top shelf is a daily obstacle. I mastered the art of skip hop walk just to keep up with people with longer legs. Oh and don’t get me started on pants… I drown in them…

4 Likes

An uncle at 6’7" adopted a default answer, spitting to the side, " it’s raining, can’t you feel it?" :unamused:

6 Likes

Can’t say I haven’t been tempted to do the same but I’m to nice for that.

4 Likes

Pants can at least be hemmed. I refuse to buy expensive pants from the long-legged catalog, so unless I buy mens jeans or get lucky in the second-hand store, mine all come above my ankle. Most feminine jackets and shirts fail to reach my wrist… and I’m only 6’. I pity women who are 6’4" and taller. (for you enlightened folks, I’m 182 cm)

Tangent… That has nothing to do with lasers. Even if I were talking about sewing my own long pants, I’d need a pass-through slot for cutting the fabric.

3 Likes