"Beverage" Caddy - First Tabbed Box Project

That looks quite awesome!!! I love this.

I don’t think the 1/8" would work with the bottle opener, but if you left that off, probably.

First - THANK YOU for your generosity in sharing! It’s exactly what I’ve been looking for. It downloaded and opened just fine for me in AI.

Question - I have some PG 1/4 ply that I want to try this on, but my calipers are reading the thickness as around .2
So I know I should modify a few areas. I changed the width/height of the slots/tabs in the dividers, and the slots in the bottom panel. I feel like I would need to adjust the height of all the tabs on all the outer panels, as well, but I’m not sure how to do that without messing with the overall dimensions.
Any suggestions? Sorry - I haven’t much experience with finger joints and such. Thanks!

Ugh - maybe I spoke too soon. I found that ungrouping the panels allows me to modify each side independently. Hope this works!

I apologize for being such a pest. I’ve gotten the tabs reduced, except for the 2 end panels. When I ungrouped those, the only thing that happened is my bounding box tilted to match the angled side. I am unable to select any side independently. Not sure why these sides are being pesky. Any ideas?

Takes me a couple minutes to get across the MN border to get some Spotted Cow, but with a fine carrier such as this; I’m sure it will make it worth the traffic battle. Good choice of beverage, sir :+1:

2 Likes

Looks cool! Question: Is your opening hardware mounted with the screw going parallel to grain between two sandwiched handle layers? If so, does that pose any splitting risk during use?

Yes, I actually pre-drilled the hole filled and with Gorilla Glue. The bottom screw is mounted very securely, so there’s two chances that this will ever pull out. Slim and none.

Awesome design!! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

It just occurred to me that you need 3 sheets of 1/4 ply for this. Yowza! That’s one expensive beer caddy! Wonder how it would do with thick draftboard, cut then painted???

2 Likes

Yes, pricey. Several people wanted one but when I put a price on it they were no longer interested!

I went to home depot and bought enough baltic to make 4 of them. Total cost was about $40, plus stain, and bear opener part. I would prob estimate each one about $15 dollars. WHoever said homemade was cheaper LOL! I dont think I would make these to sell but they were a big hit for Father’s Day

1 Like

Thanks! We have a “soda” shop in town that I go to frequently to pick up a couple of bottles. This is much sturdier than the cardboard ones! I plan on making one! Would also be fun to make one for a friend and stock it with his favorite beer to give to him. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I kind of got sidetracked in the middle of a redesign but I figured that if you were going to add a church key perhaps one could use church windows as well. The shape of the overall design lends to that as well.

I can’t seem to open the file. It downloads as _514.ai but illustrator says it’s an unknown format and can’t be opened (even though it has the .ai extension). Any suggestions?

I had the same problem. I would love to try this design and think it’s awesome that you’re sharing it with everyone. I want to make one as a 50th birthday gift for a friend, but I can’t seem to figure out how to even download the .svg (can’t find the link in the post). I’m sure I’m overlooking it, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Is there something in the post I’m missing? The only thing I see to download is cloud convert and an amazon link to a bottle opener. There was a reply that has an .ai file, but Illustrator says that the file can’t be recognized.

I believe the original shared files were removed. Some early adopters have moved on to selling them now.

There’s a nice drink tote in the Catalog if you need one for a gift. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sorry, but the files were removed after a couple of people violated the forum rules and started selling these for their business. The files are available on Etsy if you’re interested.

4 Likes