Birch 1.5mm (1/16")

Hi,
Wondering if anyone has attempted non-GF 1.5mm birch and if so what settings to use please - I am having lots of burnt edges and running about 3 passes which my gut feeling says it seems like heavy lifting for such a thin material. Would like to know if this is kind of normal?
All thoughts appreciated,
Thank You

1.5 mm birch, solid or ply?

Either way, this is probably what you need:

If it’s 1.5mm, I’d say you should be able to do it easily in one pass, in the 250/full range on a pro. A little slower on a basic.

…but that’s just a guess for a starting point, that test strip will let you get it dialed in.

5 Likes

Hi Evansd2,
That is brilliant, Thank You - Yes, I did suspect what I was doing was not quite right. It is ply but the glowforge seems to do thicker birch (3mm) in two passess at 350 on Full, so all seems a bit percuilar. Huge thank you for the information - I am away from the office at the moment but look forward to giving it a go ASAP.
Thank you, Kindest regards Amber

1 Like

I cut 3mm birch all the time in one pass. Is there a reason that you’ve needed two? I don’t use 350 speed, I run it at 200/Full for my Basic and I have no problems. Lately I’ve been using a different birch and I’ve been using PG Medium Draftboard settings for it since it’s a bit harder to cut, but again, single pass.

I don’t have a banana for scale, but here are some earrings I cut from 1/8inch birch with those settings, they are about 1" high and all those little stars I drew cut out without charring and still look like stars (I did mask the wood though, which is why it looks so clean).

@evansd2 link is very useful. Have you tried PG veneer settings? I usually start with PG settings for similiar materials if I couldn’t find it on the forum (which is hardly never, I always find great settings on here)

7 Likes

Nice, nice earrings! Love the design. Good laserwork.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.