Birch Ply and EVA Foam Coasters

[Originally posted in Made on a Glowforge, but others suggested that I should remove non-Proofgrade specifics from that post. See the original thread for subsequent discussion of pattern sources, as well as a copy of my SVG file.]

I just finished up these coasters, as a gift for the founders/co-hosts of our local board gaming group:

(I’m sorry for the phone photo / lighting quality. The background colors are more vibrant that the photos would suggest. Also, the last one isn’t an etch; it’s a cut backed by black foam.)

Materials:

• 3mm Baltic Birch ply
  • 2mm EVA foam

I also considered cork backs, but I preferred the ability to mix & match the background colors.

Lessons learned:

I don’t suspect I learned much that others don’t already know…

• It was a lot of work to get the cut patterns just right within the meeple shapes, but ultimately a fun learning project. I certainly got plenty of practice with the path manipulation tools!

• I’m sure it’s material-specific, but there was definitely a threshold level of detail to dial in, both in terms of extremely thin lines being too fragile and thicker lines hiding too much background.

• One tip for EVA foam: while it can be cut at very high speeds, I found that a slower approach yielded a smoother, more consistent edge. (My final cut settings for 2mm EVA were 130 speed at just 5 power.)

• For the 3mm Baltic Birch Ply, I just used the default settings for Proofgrade Maple Ply. They seem to work fine.

• Coasters get wet, so make sure the finish and glue/adhesive can handle it. :cloud_with_rain::droplet::grinning:

52 Likes

Coolness! (I’m going to tag it with settings so we know you shared some!) :grinning:

3 Likes

What a great idea and nice execution! I love the colored backgrounds and will be shamelessly stealing the foam idea.

1 Like

Thanks for the EVA settings. Worked great!

1 Like