Birch plywood flowers

I have had my glowforge for a few weeks now and my recent project has been these flowers out of 1/8” birch plywood. So far I have done daffodils and orchids.

60 Likes

Those are beautiful! You did a great job painting them, and the designs are very cool!

5 Likes

What @gooddog said, nice color work.

Your original designs on the flowers?

3 Likes

Started with a picture of the flowers, front on, and designed the attachments, yes.

7 Likes

Pretty! I’m impressed by the design. It’s not always easy to get laser work to look right in three dimensions. Those daffodils, especially, are :heart_eyes:.

7 Likes

Super job. Nice design work too. BTW- Welcome to the forum.

5 Likes

These are great, I hope you will do more species!

5 Likes

I plan to. The difficulty is finding species that have “relatively” flat petals. Next in line may be hibiscus or lily.

3 Likes

Nice job. Really great work! There is a lot of opportunity on this space. You could do a lot here.

Of course, a little living hinge built in and the need for “relatively flat” might go away.

3 Likes

Gorgeous! Now try a hellebore.

3 Likes

Those are really cool - I like that they are different to the usual laser cut styles and very 3D

3 Likes

The orchid is my favorite. Such a nice paint job too.

3 Likes

I have also thought about deep score marks from the side that would be the back. Not deep enough to cut all the way through but could be glued and bent. Just haven’t found time to play with them yet. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

Those are fantastic!

1 Like

These are beautiful. Love it.

2 Likes

Love the orchid coloring, that is such a fun idea!

1 Like

Deep score marks! HMM…great idea! One thing the GF never seems to give is more playtime!

I’m a big fan of daffodils. Both are lovely though!

1 Like

Following up on this I did some playing around. Deep score marks can be useful in making bends in plywood. Just make sure the outer veneer of plywood has its grain running transverse to the direction of the score marks. The main benefit here is you can make the bend while maintaining a smooth finish on one side. Something that is harder to do with a living hinge.

6 Likes

Thanks! This is worth a try!