Birthday Hat 🎉

Our baby just turned 1 yesterday and what a crazy year it’s been! I remember posting a pic here a day or so after he was born and now he’s a babbling, walking little human - how time flies. Anyway, my wife had ordered a few things from a cheap Chinese website, most of which came, but the thing she was most excited for, a crown, was a no show. The King in my username is my real middle name, and the baby shares that with me, so the crown really was kind of important. Both my wife and I order things online without the other knowing, so I didn’t know she had ordered it until she said something about it being lost in the mail. This is where my expertise comes in; so I told her I could make one. I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted it to look like, so I designed it, we went and bought some thin foam pad from the art section in Walmart, and I ran some tests. Interestingly, and I’ve noticed this on other materials, even a few thousands of an inch requires different power settings, so the settings I had found originally actually were higher than most of what I needed and some of the pieces went flying throughout the machine :sweat_smile:

In the end it all worked out pretty well. I used super 77 glue to adhere the pieces and off to our little party we went!

The baby doesn’t like things on his head, but if you distract him long enough (in this case with cake) then he would run around with it on.

It’s incredible the random things this machine let’s you do. Sure, I could have made a stencil and printed it out and cut it by hand, but the laser made the whole process so smooth and easy. Once again, Harrison Forge has come to the rescue :man_superhero:

Edit: Wanted to say that I added light score lines for the gems and the number 1. Also, where the laser didn’t make it all the way through, it left it perforated, and to take care of the uneven pieces after removing the crown, I used a lighter over them really quickly and very briefly. This stuff is really sensitive to flame, but the laser itself didn’t burn or melt it.

44 Likes

The picture of the Birthday Boy is priceless!

7 Likes

I have to admit, the cake distracted me a bit as well. Cute crown, cute photo!

4 Likes

Adorable! :smile:

3 Likes

I can’t quite tell what your material is, but using craft foam for projects like this are so accessible with the Glowforge. Our Sunday school folks buy these packets of craft projects with all the foam cutouts and I have a very hard time refraining from jumping in and making my own sets. Hate to buy something that I know I could make easily.

And also I appreciate the view of your workbench with all the projects on it. Cools stuff at work.

6 Likes

This is fantastic. I really like when folks can use the basic features of the GF and create just the right thing at the right time. The crown, design, colors, picture, and sentiment are perfect. :slightly_smiling_face: Posts like these make my day.

5 Likes

That photo is frame worthy! He is a cutie.

4 Likes

So precious! Happy birthday to the little one and great work as always.

2 Likes

He is ADORABLE. I’m sure the crown helps. :wink:

2 Likes

Harrison forge saved the day.

2 Likes

Congrats on the first year!

3 Likes

Those are all old projects that hang around and never get cleaned up haha. The real work area with current projects was full so I had to move over to in front of my monitor which was just enough space :+1:t4: Yeah, the craft foam is the best, I haven’t used any for a long time, but it just made so much sense once it popped into my head that the Glowforge wouldn’t have a problem getting the job done.

Thanks, everyone! I think he really enjoyed his big day, especially because he missed his afternoon nap for cake :joy:

3 Likes

What a great birthday crown for a very fine fella’. Congrats to your family as you celebrate this important year. There are so many wonderful experiences ahead for all of you.

3 Likes

I don’t wanna wear the hat.
Wait, you say it’s a cake-eating hat?
Gimmie the hat!

7 Likes

I think you’re going to have to stop calling him “the baby.” He’s looking more like a kid these days!

2 Likes

Nice crown save! And super cute kid!

1 Like

Now that is the perfect use for the Glowforge! He’s very cute, looks like he had a lot of fun.

3 Likes

Haha, my wife gets upset when I call him a toddler; It is kind of bittersweet :pensive:

@ptodd happy cake day!

2 Likes

My youngest turned 33 last week. It never stops being a shock!

4 Likes

Congrats, did you re-mortgage your home to fund the Hawaiian first year birthday party? :slight_smile: awesome crown! Happy birthday!

4 Likes