Blast gates are probably a good idea

I currently have a port with flaps that fall down when not in use and a screen in front of that. It keeps the bugs out, but isn’t a barrier to temperature changes at all.

2 Likes

… I thought that is what a blast gate was.

This is what I have:

AA6B262C-4369-4559-A81E-DEC37CB3FB07

This is a blast gate:

B7E89E49-F08B-45A7-B1E7-7E6F4285CE94

7 Likes

Oh!

Well, I’m very glad someone else had a humidity problem after the first one because I would definitely have not gotten the right thing.

Thank you very much for clarifying. I’m sorry you had an issue at all, but thanks for posting about it and warning the rest of us.

If there’s a bug smart enough to get through an actual blast gate, we are all in trouble.

2 Likes

How long was that wood sitting there & exposed to that humidity? What kind of % humidity are we talking?

1 Like

My simple point was that this outside humidity sneaking in was not an isolated instance, it’s happened before, it’s in the manual, and it could happen to you. But sometimes on the internet it’s hard to tell condensation from condescension. :grinning:

4 Likes

A day or two. It gets really humid here, like 90%+

3 Likes

okay.

2 Likes

I intend to use a small furnace filter in line before the external fan.

1 Like

Hmm. My window vent has flaps, and it’s been sitting there for two years with nothing connected to it, so although it’s a poor insulator and critter barrier, I obviously don’t care that much. I run the air conditioning at a ridiculous level, so on hot humid days there is a significant difference between inside and outside. I’m hoping that leaving the lid propped open will be enough to avoid trouble.

From what I’ve read on the forums, I’m really going to need to ensure my ventilation is sealed tightly. It’s going to be in a basement with no fresh air, so any fumes will tend to linger.

1 Like

(as you’re likely aware) fwiw days like that may very well lead to the condensation issue described elsewhere. may be worth having a plan for magnetic mounts or a blast gate or something just standing by.

Blast gates are very afordable…no reason not to have one, really…

http://www.internationaltool.com/jet-jw1007-4-inch-abs-plastic-blastgate?utm_source=frAug17&utm_campaign=other&gclid=CjwKCAjw5uTMBRAYEiwA5HxQNio3pCyR2lSKWTHaedqasDC5qH9bErzfbr5OWVIIU9eu70fCqTDCShoCugwQAvD_BwE

http://m.sears.com/powertec-70133-2-1-2-inch-blast-gate-for/p-00904877000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=CjwKCAjw5uTMBRAYEiwA5HxQNrZdZSZjEwQb-0y0jck9JG5laMFzPQJ8wSeF4MjwvvvJ3eMJnKHiehoCnbkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKL9wdf-5dUCFQRCAQodOX8GfQ
spin_prod_1086659312

3 Likes

but that requires manual effort

4 Likes

They’re affordable, but as discussed earlier, they aren’t airtight. If I can avoid condensation by leaving the lid open, it would be preferable to having my office smell like burning plastic.

2 Likes

I’ll have to do something or I’ll wind up with either a squirrel or a chipmunk in my :glowforge:, or a pile of walnuts, acorns and hazelnuts in it.

2 Likes

I have three on my setup…No smells or leakage and its much better to have then not have…every little bit helps…
It you have alot of humidity…it might be better to have a hose that can be unattached and closed to the outside when not in use…

1 Like

Laser all the things!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Which model do you use?

Not on a Glowforge but on two lasers that run at the same time and still no leakage…

1 Like

That’s good to know. I think I’ll get one and see how it works.

1 Like