Blast gates are probably a good idea

So, to clarify your setup, you have a 4" exhaust pipe attached to a blast gate, which is installed in a window? And when you use the laser unit you open the blast gate and when done you close it back up to avoid outside airflow back into your pipe?

Seems like installing a blast gate into a plexiglass panel for placement in the window, and then attaching the GF exhaust to it would seal things up properly.

i think hers might be vented through the ceiling, but that’s how it would work, yeah.

I vent through the ceiling…

3 Likes

Is that Proofgrade?

What would prevent this from happening once you were done making whatever it is that you were making? Sure it was in the GF for 2 days exposed to the external temps and humidity, but once you complete the project, won’t it be exposed to that kind of temperature and humidity for more than just 2 days?

1 Like

it’s a good idea, but i think not necessarily, especially if it stays indoors forever. also, even without condensation, humidity could’ve been quite high in the laser without enough circulation

Outside air is pretty cold here in Colorado now and I was worried about damaging the cooling system, so I added a Rockler blast gate to prevent cold air backflow to the “Forge Pro”. It lives in the basement and the cold air flows down to the Forge like a river… The blast gate is adapted to the Forge with a Rockler 4" rubber vacuum hose coupling. Easy install and it works great.

5 Likes