Blemish on Lens

Our glowforge told us it was unable to complete a cut and so I went to look at the lenses on the printer head and saw a slight blemish in the middle of two of them. I reset the machine and it continued cutting properly. I haven’t had a problem with cuts or anything since but am slightly worried about the blemish. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Some materials are smokier than others and also when small particles are released when they burn. If it’s just small particles then try this…

I first use the Zeiss wipes, then if it doesn’t come off by just wiping then I use a Q-tip and some alcohol. Put a drop of alcohol on the blemish then let it sit for about 30 seconds then use the Q-tip to remove it. Don’t press to hard you don’t want to scratch the lens…

3 Likes

Dirt on the windows or lens will heat up from the beam, and eventually burn them. that’s why clean optics are the first rule of lasers.

3 Likes

I am familiar with many kind of lasers and laser optics. Some aging of the optical coating is normal and is probably not related with the cutting issue you had. I agree that basic and gentle optic cleaning must be done periodically to prevent any permanent damage on the windows and the lens. Hard cleaning could do even worse, so be careful. If the mark on your window remain after cleaning, that is ok. As long as the optics are free of dirt or scratches, it should work just fine.

3 Likes

I thought it was “don’t look at laser with remaining eye.”

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

We got the machine not too long ago and were being pro active in cleaning it to make sure we keep things clean so I am surprised it was blemished.

1 Like

Thank you for your comments that makes sense and is helpful!

I’m sorry to see you have a blemish. I’m glad you resolved it! What @gamn1958 suggested should be how to clean the issue. But a blemish should not have an effect on the performance of the Glowforge. if you start to have issues please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!

1 Like