Blender -> SVG -> Glowforge

acrylic
led

#1

Following up on the cool edge-lit illusion votive post from @cynd11, I made a quick object in Blender, rendered and exported as a SVG file, opened in Inkscape to put on a 3" x 3" square cut, then took it to my :glowforge:.

I used :proofgrade: Medium Clear Acrylic with all default settings – no custom values here :wink:

My first pass was as an engrave, but it didn’t come out very well… it missed some of the lines and were way too high of a resolution (I’m still impressed at the detail possible on this machine!) I then tried the same design using a score instead of engrave. The path it walked was duplicative, scoring each side of every line, and sometimes making the score corners go all the way through the acrylic! I then wondered what would happen if I did NOT convert the Stroke to Path in Inkscape, just used the raw SVG file, so I re-exported, re-did in Inkscape without Stroke to Path, then used ran it as a score.

Here are the results:



I removed all the masking, pulled a NeoPixel out of a drawer, and took some pics of them edge-lit.



Despite the missing lines, the engrave looks best edge-lit (top), as the color is more consistent across the entirety of the acrylic. However, the non-Stroke to Path scored version (bottom) looks clean and sharp in-person.

I’ll put together the basic tutorial on how to get these out of Blender soon-ish. :slight_smile:


Quick Tutorial: Blender to SVG
#2

That’s going to come in very handy! Great job on it! :grinning::+1:


#3

Ah man that looks good! Bottom is my favorite! No aliasing


#4

Cool. Now, imagine you make two more where the cone is slighty turned and turned again. Then stack all three and light them up in sequence.

Might work.


#5

Just out of curiousity, would you be willing to ZIP and post the exported SVG prior to any Inkscape manipulations? I’d like to see more of how the export looked in a more raw form.


#6

Can’t wait to try it. I want to make a Lixie.


#7

Here is the SVG in a zip. The page size is based on the render from Blender, which is set at 1280x720, which is why I took it into Inkscape and made the document smaller and put a cut box around it.

SVGConeFromBlender.zip (14.9 KB)


#8

I finally had a chance to put together a quick tutorial for how I made the cone. I started a new thread in the “Everything Else” section since it’s not really a MOAG topic (and I don’t have access to start a topic on the Tips section)

Happy to answer questions! :slight_smile:


#9

I think I can move it there. I’ve already linked it in the 3D Programs Matrix so people can find it. (Our first Blender tutorial.) :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:


#10

Thanks for this post. I’ve been thinking about how to generate these wire frames and glad that Blender is good at it.


#11

Hey @gwygonik – give this attachment a shot engraving. I think it’ll produce better results than your first engrave.

(I also ran it through svgomg, because hey, I like compression).

0003-EngraveMe-OMGd.zip (8.5 KB)


#12

Wow! This is like Tron live. :slight_smile:


#13

I am confused. Why are the scored lines wide and the engraved lines thin? It seems the wrong way round.


#14

It sounds like the first score was done twice, once either side of the line. The third version was scored once and looks as sharp as you would expect


#15

Oh wow, this is awesome! Can’t wait to see the tutorial!


#16

Yup - the first score (the second cone of the three) did both sides of the line. My AxiDraw does this too, without me changing anything in Inkscape, so I’m kind-of used to this. I’m more surprised that the :glowforge: doesn’t do it unless I change something in Inkscape. :man_shrugging:

The first one, the engrave, only looks thinner on the mask. The actual lines in the acrylic are about the same. The good scored version puts more power into it for longer, charring the mask which the engrave doesn’t. Basically, it’s an optical illusion on the mask.


#17

My mouth is agape! Seriously, when I saw the finish products, I jumped back like something startled me. Something did…a great design!