Bluetooth Speaker

I’ve loved the design of the Snap and Store Box since I first saw it, but, being the kind of person I am, I didn’t want to just copy it. It occurred to me that it might look nifty to put the snaps on the corners and make faux splines.

Then I remembered the Rockler Bluetooth speaker kit I got for Christmas and…

Speaker

It was really just intended to be a proof of concept. It’s made from 1/4 inch Baltic Birch plywood. Maybe someday I’ll put the speaker into an enclosure made from higher grade materials, but for now, I’m kinda happy with it. And it doesn’t sound half bad.

35 Likes

Nice work - and thanks for the banana! (someone should eat it soon…)

6 Likes

Had it with my cereal this morning. :smile:

5 Likes

I’m being dense here, have you got a close-up? I can’t work out what these are doing?

I have to say though, it looks very nice.

2 Likes

Sure. It’s actually a pretty simple design. Unfortunately, I didn’t take any pictures of my pieces before assembly, so here’s what they look like.

And here are a couple more close up:

IMG_1234 IMG_1235

The snaps on the vertical pieces hold the sides, top and bottom in place. The snaps, however, were not as “bendy” as I expected and the other pieces had to be lightly tapped into place with a rubber mallet.

I am not at the level yet to have mastered kerf adjustment. I just measured thickness of my material over and over with my digital calipers and hoped for the best. It’s pretty sturdy. Only the bottom piece wiggles, and not much. So… YAY!

The thinness of the front and back pieces was slightly problematic, because I wasn’t using proofgrade material and a couple of places didn’t cut all the way through. Xacto knife to the rescue.

Anyway, enough of my blah, blahing. If anyone likes the design and thinks they can use it for other projects, PLEASE DO. I’ve learned so much from the generous people on this forum, it would please me more than I can say to give a little back.

Edit: Sorry for any problems viewing the design picture. I tried to fix it and it’s showing up mostly black on my computer when I post it. It’s viewable when I click on it, though.

10 Likes

I like the look of it! Thank you for sharing your file.

3 Likes