Blurry Camera

Mine was pretty bad when it arrived, but I adjusted it like @henryhbk said. So I don’t think they are gluing them yet. Not sure I would want it glued in place anyways. I like being able to adjust it if needed.

2 Likes

Could be possible. I’ll wait to hear back from the team.

1 Like

I think mine is worse than this, but it still detects. As always, have you tried restarting it? :smiley:

1 Like

Mines very close to this, I think the lens just doesn’t focus very well outside the middle center. Or who knows, maybe we all got super blurry lenses.

1 Like

Yes. I didn’t want to clean anything while it’s on. :slight_smile:

Both are certainly possible!

1 Like

I have the same issue. I reported it when I got mine. I mapped out there bed by moving the proofgrade around the bed and seeing if it registers (4 corners, 4 edges, center). I sent all the screen shots to Glowforge.

3 Likes
11 Likes

I doubt they are using actual glue to hold them, they are probably just using blue loctite thread locker to prevent it from loosening more than anything else.

Well my phone can read a screenshot of your screenshot, so it isn’t too blurry. It must be the algorithm that reads it.

It says Glowforge:A:BAAWP

4 Likes

Marion, you may have a promising future in IT. :wink:

18 Likes

[speculation] If there is enough variability in manufacture, GF may have to calibrate the camera system on each Forge coming off the assembly line individually. If it is calibrated with the lens a bit out of focus, then changing the focus later will change (slightly) where the image falls on the camera’s sensor. That, in turn, will change there the Forge thinks material is located on the bed and affect alignment. Sure, the QR code will be read more easily, but alignment may suffer. [/speculation]

1 Like

yeah i was thinking that there must be an additional issue; qr codes can be degraded quite a bit before they’re machine illegible in my experience.

Yup. another somewhat blurry camera here. I find it varies but I haven’t spent too much time to investigate.

In the beginning, I had that issue of it reading some QR codes but not others. But that seemed to have gone away.

But for now, I think this is going to be an ongoing issue until they switch over to the UV QR codes. As then they won’t be using the lid camera for that. Until then, whatever method they are using now has to dewarp the image, and locate a code in such a large preview ‘image’.

Or until they upgrade the algorithm in the cloud. If a free app on my phone can read it third hand there must be plenty of resolution in the original image, even if it is a little blurry. I.e. I am taking a picture of my screen showing @Tom_A’s first screenshot with it in the far corner.

2 Likes

To be clear, my worriment isn’t that it can’t read the QR codes. Almost couldn’t care less about that. My concern is its ability to 1) identify objects (macbooks, etc.), 2) properly align for double-sided cuts, and 3) accurately place items as dropped in the GFUI. (Not at ALL in my personal order of importance.)

8 Likes

Yeah, mine has a weird curve on the lower left corner that would definitely mess up placement (albeit that’s also outside the zappable area, so I don’t know whether that’s important.)

2 Likes

I think

1. wouldn’t need a particularly sharp image.
  2. Should use the head camera.
  3. Yes it looks doubtful that could ever be accurate enough in the far corners using the lid camera. The difference in the distance to the lens compared to something directly under it and the angle seem pretty extreme to me.
2 Likes

I agree with all of those.
And I have no idea how they’ll be utilizing the head camera in the future. Maybe it’ll be used in conjunction with the lid camera to more-accurately align objects onto materials.

It could do but you express where you want it with the lid camera view so its hard to specify that correctly if the image is blurred. Once you have expressed it on the screen it then has to map that position accurately to the material on the bed. Perhaps the head camera could help with that but it seems to be a very complex problem to me.