Board Game - Pai Sho Board and Tiles

Intended to be able to take it apart easily. Still might have to tweak that part as this particular board I just shared a picture of is a bit too tight.

1 Like

Are you making your boards on 3/16" or 1/8"? I have started working out thoughts for a Crokinole board, but I’ve wondered since it will be about a 26" diameter playing area perhaps I should layer pieces with cross grain layers to reduce risk of warping. At the 18" size board you make do you find your single layer ply is good enough?

I’m going with 1/8". I wasn’t very happy with the :proofgrade: thick plywood, it seemed less sturdy than the medium and warps just as much. With a good print, there’s only a little bit of warp between the pieces. Though if you make the joints tight, it will reduce that and they’ll sort of warp together.

1 Like

An update on this… I think I have to switch to the thick :proofgrade: for my Pai Sho boards. Recent batches of the medium plywood have been consistently warped so that boards didn’t turn out well at all. Hopefully the thick plywood has less expected warp.

Finally got around to making a full set for myself. The tiles are purpleheart and zebrawood.

6 Likes

Are you using any kind of finish on the tiles?

Just shellac before lasering. Hopefully that’s a good way to go.

2 Likes

It’s an all natural product, I think it’s cool. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, from digging around here it looked like that’s what I needed for a pre-laser finish. Not sure if anything post-laser is needed as far as exotic wood care.

But the tiles I’ve shared so far are only for one of the Pai Sho games that are playable on my website

Here’s Vagabond Pai Sho:

And Capture Pai Sho:

10 Likes

Here’s a Pai Sho set unboxing video if anyone is interested. You’ll get to see some purpleheart tiles :slight_smile: http://youtu.be/FYPy_8vWNGI?a

2 Likes

This is fun.

10 Likes

Pretty!

Hello! I just finished printing the board and then went to print the tiles but I could only find a few of them on your website. Are they somewhere else or am I just clueless and looking right at them but not seeing them? I think I see a set of 5 in both light and dark, and big and small but it’s just the 5 different ones, not the full set of 12 different designs. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, and thanks for asking! So, there are multiple Pai Sho games… The most popular are Skud Pai Sho (example) and Vagabond Pai Sho (example). Also check out Capture Pai Sho because the designs are amazing (example).

On my Design Downloads page, you can find the Vagabond Pai Sho tiles and a set of tiles I designed to look as close to what’s seen in Avatar as possible, which I call the Canon tiles - this is the set with only five designs (example). The link to the Vagabond tile designs are in their own section below those ones on the downloads page.

For the Skud Pai Sho tile designs, send me a message to get in contact with the artist to get the files.

Also, be sure to see my post on my forum where I detail my entire process of how I make these, including all the custom :glowforge: settings I use, which I worked hard at perfecting! That’s at the forum post link at the top of my Design Downloads page.

3 Likes

Oh, and of course, let me know if you’re ever up for a game :slight_smile: SkudPaiSho.com

If any other super Avatar fans are interested in producing these to sell, that’d be awesome and I’ll help you out. I constantly get messages from people who want to buy them from me, but I have precious little time to actually make as many as I’d like. Just get in touch!

Glad I checked this page again! I thought I had notifications set up but apparently not -oops
Anyways, ok so the 5 designs in “cannon” are all that there are? (I haven’t actually played pai sho, but me and my sister have always loved Avatar… well let me take that back, she spent YEARS telling me to watch it and I always ignored her because “that’s just some cartoon my little sister watches” and finally she talked me into it and now I am obsessed too haha.) Anyways I thought I would giver her a Pai Sho set for her birthday mid august, so when I saw your beautiful design I just started making it without making sure I knew which pieces I should be making haha.
So which tile set would you recommend I make for her? (board is already made) can you play with just the 5 designs from the canon tiles or should I make the vagabond tiles? (sorry my lack of knowledge about Pai Sho is showing) Anyway thanks for the QUICK reply!! I saw the last post was from 10 months ago and wasn’t sure if you would see my question, Thank you :slight_smile:
I’ll have to learn to play before her birthday so we can enjoy a game and a nice cup of hot leaf juice.

3 Likes

There’s no game with just the canon tile designs. You’ll want to make tiles to play Vagabond for now, and maybe in the future you can make tiles for Skud Pai Sho for her too. Vagabond Pai Sho is a lot like chess in the kind of game it is. To get started, go to skudpaisho.com and try it out. Let me know whenever you’d like to play a game after reading through the rules, and I can help you learn.

Thank you :slight_smile:

I just made a box to hold the game together, (first time trying to make my own design, mostly using box generators and converting images in Inkscape, but it looks pretty cool for my first try.) though I did make it a bit large, I just didn’t want it to be too tiny!) I’ll post pictures once the glue is dry. Maybe I can cut custom foam inserts to hold it neatly together in the box or something to justify the extra space haha.