Book nook for a friend's birthday

[This is from the catalog design, Enchanting Miniature Castle Book Nook for Your Bookshelf.]

A couple who are my friends are both avid readers. One whole wall of their living room is dedicated to the book shelves. I asked if they ever considered inserting a book nook, and both said yes. R’s birthday is already come & gone, but I think they’ll enjoy it anyway.

Thank goodness for the clear, beautiful instructions! Lots of pieces and a few must go in a particular order.

Sorry I didn’t have better lighting.

40 Likes

Awesome gift!!

9 Likes

These are so cool

9 Likes

Nicely executed. I am sure it won’t be their last book nook.

9 Likes

@ptodd @wenning08 Thank you! I don’t know if I’ll make more of them, my finger joints are loose and I was worrried about bending/breaking some parts. BUT…if my friends want to put one of their own together, then I’ll happily make more.

I wound up using tweezers & a jeweler’s leather mallet on some things.

9 Likes

What fun! I’ve wanted a book nook for some time, but I don’t feel like making one.

9 Likes

I snagged all the catalog book nooks, just haven’t made any yet. I need to. And I LIKE the lighting on yours - really makes it look awesome, like the sun shining through a castle window!

7 Likes

I think it would be so cool to have two lcd bulbs in the support space (strengthens the structure, leaves a ‘box’) behind the windows. I had to tilt the nook to get regular room light into it for photos.

8 Likes

I love it. I need to attempt one one of these days.

7 Likes

He likes it, and wants more! I’ll cut the designs, R and his wife will put them together. A two-fer win.

11 Likes

Love it. I hope they do also!

8 Likes

That is awesome! I thought about taking some pics from the catalog to a (relatively) local bookstore and seeing if it’s something they would be interesting in carrying. They have other things besides books, including puzzles, etc. If I did it as a diy kit, that would make it very easy.

9 Likes

This turned out great! My granddaughters are avid readers. My oldest granddaughter, who is 11, just published her first book. Of course I was one of the first to order and get it autographed:-). I’m so proud of her. Her writing was well done (of course I’m biased). I NEED to make one of these for them.

7 Likes

I’d recommend making samples (like a tab and insert piece that is duplicated) before printing the whole thing. I used PG maple, and the fit was so close I’d have given up if it wasn’t a gift for someone else.

I’m doing another (from the same designer) using an off-brand walnut that is a perfect fit. I don’t think it’s an issue between PG and non-PG; all my PG stock is older and likely has absorbed enough moisture to affect the tolerances.

i think DIY bundles are a great way to go. R is really excited to get the next nook; he will put it together himself. It’s better than a jigsaw puzzle!

@rvogt Good for you and your granddaughters!

9 Likes

I keep wanting to hide mirrors looking at places you can’t see behind stuff to make it bigger on the inside but haven’t come to the place where I need to start building it.

6 Likes

After the assembly, I wondered if I could have substituted mirror acrylic for something, to help spread the light. I might try that on the next one.

6 Likes

A straight mirror at the end and you would see yourself looking back but bounced around you could see off several directions and with care not yourself. Though the infinite mirror trick might be cool.

6 Likes

Well, that one would have been perfect for the ‘paintings’ on the walls. Make a few of them mirrors and it wouldn’t be in-your-face-obvious.

9 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by this. That would be a wise idea to do though, once I know what you mean! :slight_smile:

@rvogt, that is awesome! When we were pastoring we hosted a singing family for one Sunday, and one of their daughters had three books published before she was 15. One of them, “The Penny Pincher” was nominated for a “Christy Award.” We bought all three of her books and I was indeed impressed with how someone so young could write such amazing stories as she did.

5 Likes

I really want to build a book nook one of these days. First I have to finish building my house, though…and I guess I should have some bookshelves in it, too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes