Bottle Rack Commission

I had a Customer that was selling little bottles of oils that were just displayed in rows on the table and was having to put them out one at a time and a;l the time straightening out rows etc and wanted to set them out at once, have them stay put, and be able to read the labels.

This is a proof of concept that I designed totally in Inkscape without boxes.py or similar program. the bottles are 1 inch and each row is 1.03" wide. Fingers are 0.25 O.C. there is a middle slot to slide in a handle so a stack of several can be lifted and carried about safe;y together. The fingers make it very strong.

I would appreciate Ideas about pricing or design etc that anyone might have.

39 Likes

Looks cool! :grinning:

2 Likes

VERY nice!
Now you’ll get to store all that alcohol from the hotel room mini-fridge!

3 Likes

Thats great, I love functional stuff. Whenever I do pieces like this I like to cut a clean piece (usually veneer) and glue it to the front to cover the joints.

5 Likes

I think the joints look kind of cool. I’ve been digging the tiny finger joints ever since @evansd2 started throwing them around. :wink:

I really like the design, @rbtdanforth – curious what holds the handle in place when you slide it in? Also, it kinda looks like it could be stackable with the handle in place – is that where you’re headed with it? (EDIT: Oh, duh, you said they’re stackable – haven’t had my coffee yet!)

I’m lousy at pricing so I’ll leave that to others, but with the popularity of essential oils right now, I bet you wouldn’t have any trouble selling them!

3 Likes

the top and bottom of the slot goes all the way across but the slot itself stops a quarter inch from each end so a handle that was a full width (or had horizontal parts attached ) would hold up nicely.

4 Likes

Very clever design! I have no idea what you should charge, but custom designed solutions like this ought to fetch a premium price in my opinion.

1 Like

I’d definitely veneer the front, and adding labels would look sharp too.

1 Like

Beautiful work.

A lot of the essential oils are sold as MLMs-- multi-level marketing or pyramid schemes. Might want payment up front. :wink:

I’d suggest having a poke about Etsy and see what folks are charging for such things. Then charge more because your design combines attractiveness with excellent functionality; the Etsy stuff tends to lean to decorative with little consideration for practicality.

4 Likes

Good job meeting their need!

1 Like

Wow - great solution.

I would second the veneer the front it would simplify the appearance. Also concider adding a pattern of sorts to the side and Bottom this will give more light also - dust will drop through the recess and not accumulate. Maybe the patten can be “words or Letters”
Ryan

2 Likes

It’s a great design. I think when you get it in some good material it will be really nice. I agree with the veneer or something to knock down the contrasting fingers poking through. The bottles might get lost in that pattern.

Depending on the material, I would figure starting at $40 but I don’t do retail well.

1 Like

Depending upon your material, I think $40 is a good price. One of my wholesalers sell their ACRYLIC pen holders for about that and they aren’t even as sturdy as your design looks!

I find people pay more for acrylic than any plywoods other than the veneers and even then they prefer walnut and bamboo (don’t ask me why bamboo)

2 Likes

Bamboo is considered more eco-friendly, so that may be why.

I agree on the veneer. I think it’s too busy for what it’s meant to do.

As for pricing, definitely start by calculating cost of materials and time spent cutting/assembling (time X hourly rate). If it’s a one-off, include the design costs. The rule of thumb is to double that # and charge that if you’re selling directly. Obviously the market can’t always bear what something is truly worth, so it might be worthwhile to lower the price a bit to build a relationship with a customer who might bring more business down the line.

2 Likes

I have considered sanding them as they are expressed by about a mm but I did that from some scrap and do not prefer it myself

Or as some have said “What you cannot hide…Flaunt!”… like all the dividers made of clear acrylic and sequential color changing LEDS at the other end. You might not notice the bottles first, but you will come from a long way off to look!

Looking on Etsy, racks for that number of bottles start at $100.00 and considering that there are three sheets of material in each, and aligning the fingers just to put it together is more than a little tricky, to say nothing of getting it right in the design I am thinking in those terms. Perhaps just glued with no fingers would be $40 but even then that would barely cover many possible materials, and not cover many others.

If in doubt, try ( [cost of materials] x 10), and see if that works for you.

It’s also a good formula to run alongside any other method you have, and if it give a similar result, it will give you more confidence in the method you do use.

John :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

1 Like

Curiously, that looks very much like ‘wedged dovetails’, but the keen observer will realise the ‘wedges’ are going in the wrong direction !

John :upside_down_face:

2 Likes