Bottom of the glowforge

Being injected molded, I would expect one piece construction.
Few things I enjoy more than pondering existing engineering and how it might be innovated.
I will spend a lot of time initially (hugging) scrutinizing and indoctrinating myself on the machine’s construction and abilities - existing and potential.

As time passes and experience accrues, inevitability I will be inspired by an idea to further the machines capability. (I can’t help it, “baby I was born this way”)
I know I am not alone in this affliction, and I look forward to the creative ideas that spring from the fertile minds of others here in the community.

I have a T shirt that gives an accurate insight to the learning curve, no - curse experienced by a tinkermiester like myself…

If you take something apart, and put it together enough times - eventually you will have two of them.
(Alluding to the left-over parts)

5 Likes

Found some stripped down prototype images:

2 Likes

NIce! Thank you!

Oh wow, that takes me back… Some good perspective on how far we’ve come in such short time.

2 Likes

Looks like one of my power supplies just before the extinguisher came out.

1 Like

You heard it here first. rpegg was running a lab when they invented extinguishers. :wink:

4 Likes

Soda water extinguishers.

I never knew Soda water needed to be extinguished.

1 Like

How else do you stop the bubbles?

1 Like

I thought they stopped because they were closer to the sun… Hmmm… Now I know…

I remember the ornate brass cans those old extinguishers came in.

The church office of one of my previous parishes was a 100 year old house. No one could live in there and and we just used it for rare meetings and such. There was a brass extinguisher still there in the stairwell. I didn’t snag it before leaving, but thought about it. We had a big auctions to sell off the contents and there were lots of antiques. Anyway, to bring back the focus of the topic, soda water and a splash of home made cherry wine vinegar on ice. It’s amazing.

2 Likes

Unfortunately for modders, the entire case is one piece (minus the glass top and front plastic doors). We sometimes affectionately refer to it as “the tub”.

Bit of trivia: there exists exactly one black tub in the world (they were out of white plastic when they shot it). @aeva called dibs on it though so I’m afraid you’re all out of luck. :wink:

5 Likes

I remember taking an original Apple Macintosh computer apart and molded inside the plastic case were the design/development team signatures. (Actually, I took it apart just to find the signatures.) That would have been a great morale thing for the team. And kinda cool. Here’s an example pic.

4 Likes

I had forgotten about that. I remember thinking that was a pretty cool idea the first time I stumbled upon it.

Ableton Push 2 did a similar thing! I think our plastics may be a bit too far a long to add this :frowning:

5 Likes

I worked on an Apple project back in the mid 90’s. Everyone submitted their signatures for the inside of the case, but at the last minute, Apple Legal put an end to the practice thinking it would be an easy recruiting tool for their competitors!

‘why didnt someone try to recruit me?’ ‘your handwriting sucks’ ‘oh’

3 Likes

We must hire “Capital-S-Squiggle-Line/Dot”

2 Likes