Bourbon Ball Box

I cannot take credit for the engraving. I bought the file from Mike at 805LaserSpot.

No cleaning was needed. I used the settings that Mike recommended on PG Maple unmasked, and it comes out perfect every time.

6 Likes

Which Bourbon do you use?

It is an optical illusion ( trompe l’oeil). Mike has nearly 300 3D illusion files for sale at his Etsy store.

4 Likes

Usually, I use Wild Turkey 101, but this year, I used Old Forester 1920 (115 proof). I always pick a bourbon with rye as the secondary grain and at least 100 proof. Water and alcohol interact differently with the powdered sugar, and I can get more bourbon in the mix with a higher proof. (The things I learned in pharmacy school!)

Wheated bourbons, like Makers Mark, Old Fitzgerald, Rebel Yell, Cabin Still, and any of the Weller or Van Winkle brands, are already sweet and get lost in the sugar. The bourbons with a high rye component hold their own against the sugar much better than a wheated bourbon does.

2 Likes

interesting. I made them with Maker’s and my father in law thought they were the best he’d ever had.

for giggles. I made some with FIREBALL, dipped them in which chocolate and topped with redhots.

1 Like

I have used the same running horses file in other applications.

I think that might be the only appropriate use for Fireball.

I have used Makers Mark before, but to me, it was too sweet. It is fine for sipping, but I did not like it in bourbon balls.

1 Like

oh man. take two ice cube trays. fill them with apple cider.

freeze, throw in blender with 3/4 cup of fireball.

BOOM a slushie to die for. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is truly a work of art! Your friends will be awed. And the contents are probably to die for!

3 Likes

The box came out great… now I’m craving Bourbon Balls, though.

2 Likes

Beautiful box.

2 Likes

Wow, they are in for a treat! Very nice!!

4 Likes

Amazing effect on the engraving and lovely box as well! I’m sure your friends will love it. Thanks for sharing the Etsy link. I know where my Friday night is going :rofl:

2 Likes

Beautiful work, but I’m still looking for the bourbon ball recipe!

1 Like

New to Glowforge, just purchased a design from 805 via Etsy because of this article. Now how do you get the design to the Glowforge Dashboard? I rc’d three downloads, one is an Inkscape, one is the Glowforge Engrave Settings and the last is a 10x7 pdf.

1 Like

you can import PDFs into the GFUI.

I’m really new to Glowforge and need kid gloves at this time until fully running. How do you import PDFs into the GFUI. What is GFUI? assume Glowforge … …

GFUI is short for glowforge user interface dashboard. when you’re in the dashboard, above your design thumbnails there is a button that says “create.” click on that, then upload from file, and then choose the PDF.

1 Like

Thank you very much, I’ll try that now and we’ll see what happens. I may be bending your ear later if unable to navigate. Thanks much, Dan

Open the Glowforge user interface. Clink on Upload From File, and then find the SVG file that you downloaded from Etsy.