Box Generator

See here:

It is an Inkscape plugin that makes it trivial to generate boxes with variable # of sides and dividers. Kerf aware.

It is the best box generator I’ve found so far.

35 Likes

Bookmarked! I’ve seen a lot of box generators but this is a new one to me. Thanks!

1 Like

I linked it in the Matrix too. :grinning:

2 Likes

Great - thanks for sharing! I love a good box generator.

1 Like

Awesome! I’ve been wanting to try one, but haven’t had time.

1 Like

Noob Question - I’ve followed the instructions to install this but no joy. I’m assuming this is because I have not made the boxmaker.py file “executable”. Can someone give me some advice on how to do this?

What platform are you on?

For me, I just copied the .py and the two extension files into ~/.config/inkscape/extensions (OS X) and it “just worked”.

Again, on OS X, to make it executable:

chmod a+x ~/.config/inkscape/extensions/*.py

You will need to restart Inkscape, however.

I have windows 10. I copied the files (and that’s all) but it didn’t work. Unfortunately I didn’t understand the ‘chmod’ bit. I suspect that’s the thing that I need to do.

For what it’s worth, I am seeing an extension errors file pop up in the inkscape installation. I can’t upload it but this what it says.

Extension “Tabbed Box Maker” failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
type: executable
string: boxmaker.py

Extension “Tabbed Box Maker” failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
type: file

Extension “Schroff Box Maker” failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:

Extension “Schroff Box Maker” failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
type: file

Extension “Dia Input” failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
string: dia
description: In order to import Dia files, Dia itself must be installed. You can get Dia at http://live.gnome.org/Dia

Extension “DXF Output” failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
string: pstoedit
description: pstoedit must be installed to run; see http://www.pstoedit.net/pstoedit

Extension “EPS Input” failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
string: ps2pdf

Extension “LaTeX” failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
string: latex

Dependency:
string: dvips

Dependency:
string: pstoedit

Extension “XFIG Input” failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
string: fig2dev

Extension “GIMP XCF” failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
string: gimp

Extension “PostScript Input” failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
string: ps2pdf

Extension “Sketch Input” failed to load because a dependency was not met.
Dependency:
string: skconvert

At work right now - for the inserts, do you specify the position of each insert, or are they evenly divided?

Evenly divided.

chmod is only for OS X and other unix boxes. I don’t know what the equivalent is for Windows.

It sounds like you’re missing a bunch of other software that needs to be installed to make it work as a slew of your extensions are failing to load.

I’d potentially re-install Inkscape from Inkscape.org and try to find a version that has many of the dependencies built in.

I just installed this on Windows 10 last week and it worked without having to set any permissions. I just extractedthe zip file to the extensions folder in my inkscape directory. It is not an installer like an exe file, so if you are trying to ‘run’ it that could be why you are getting an error.

I originally tried putting them in a folder in that directory, but it didn’t show up in inkscape. So then I put the files files directly in to the extensions directory. You may need to try both.

Brian

Can you post a link to the version of Inkscape you installed? Did you install any additional packages?

I suspect that Glen has a minimal Inkscape install that doesn’t have a bunch of supporting software, hence the dependency failures (I had a similar problem on OS X).

I have 0.92.2, no issues. Except I copied mine into

/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/share/inkscape/extensions

(and chmod a+x the .py)

I have 0.92.2 installed. I would imagine that I installed the basic version. I look into that to see if that’s the fix.

Yeah-- the version # alone isn’t helpful, as I most painfully found out when I initially installed a version that was minimal in nature. Nothing worked.

Dammit!

Inkscape website has problems. Oh well, I’ll try doing this again tomorrow.

So I’ve solved it.
Downloaded new version from inkscape. Did complete install. Still did not wor.

Went looking on the internet and a rogue comment saved my bacon. “If the files you downloaded were zip files, did you unzip or extract them?” I had just entered the zipped folder and copied them to the inkscape folder. This time I extracted the folder and then copied them.

Learned a new thing today. I thought that files, when copied, extracted as well. Clearly not.

Works now. Thank for your help everyone.

4 Likes

Well I am late, but just to close it out my version is Inkscape 0.92.2 (5c3e80d, 2017-08-06) and the file i used to install it was inkscape-0.92.2-x64.exe

Brian