Box with a Laser Tile Lid

For those of you who have cut laser tiles and weren’t sure what to do with them, I had the same dilemma with a tile i had made of my brother’s dog who passed away last summer. Wanted to send it to him, but not as a plain tile, since I wasn’t sure what he would be able to do with just a tile.

So I decided to make a box lid to accommodate it and incorporate it into a box.

I made two box files on boxes.py, both without lids. I made one box just barely big enough to accommodate the laser tile and one about 3mm smaller so the lid box would slide over the regular box. added a couple of millimeters below the slots so it would be a deeper lid, created a lip piece to glue on top and cover the edges of the tile, and there you go.

I uploaded the cut file to free laser designs if anyone else would like to use it.

64 Likes

I would love this. My wife’s dog passed away a while back and she still misses it dearly. This would be an awesome surprise for her.

2 Likes

just packed it up to send to my brother later today at the post office. his birthday is on Friday, so that was the final kick in the pants to get it done.

1 Like

Excellent idea!
The absolute love our pets engender in us.
(Paraphrasing) An old man said that every dog he had ever owned gave him a piece of its heart, and he returned the favor. And by the time he died his heart would be all dog, and he would see and love the world as they did.

9 Likes

I like that you only see a frame when you look at the photo … Great job!

2 Likes

Really nice solution. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Lovely sentiment! and thanks for sharing…

1 Like

What a lovely box! And the quality of the photo engrave just blows me away.

1 Like

Lovely! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

WOW this is stunning amazing engraving it looks like a photo. im having trouble engraving my dog just cant get the image good enough. im in awe of your tile :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

this was not a standard tile. this was done on a lasertile.

2 Likes

thanks ive been looking at laser tiles looks like my next purchase

Can’t wait to try this! Thanks for sharing