Boxes in a different light

lit
Mahogany, resin, blue phosphorescent powder.

Blue phosphorescent powder

… different light, get it? Aaaah? … aaaah?!

Focus is hard, ok?

40 Likes

Very cool - especially in the dark!

2 Likes

Bit of sanding there for the blend huh?

1 Like

A bit yeah. Each layer is offset by 2.25 degrees, ten layers, a 22.5 degree twist.

Dremel is your friend here to grind away the excess material, it goes pretty quickly. I covered these methods in my other layered box posts, I did a whole series on this kind of thing.

4 Likes

I didn’t take any in progress pics but as luck would have it I did take a post-glueup pic before I started sanding:

And a bonus, my glow powders:

11 Likes

Yes, if you keep moving and work you way in carefully you do not distort the helix. I love sanding in the woodworking process. Not because it is actually fun, but because if you doit really well the project goes from good to awesome. Fine wood and 1000 grit is an addictive combination.

I once block sanded a maple dresser I made from solid wood, laminated and flattened with a 12" jack plane. Then up through the grits all the way to 1500. That was shiny before I waxed it. I did so much block sanding that the skin on my fingertips was about gone. Squeezing my fingers I could force out tiny droplets of blood right through the skin. :slightly_smiling_face: That dresser was as smooth as glass.

6 Likes

Glowing boxes - now I want to see projects with the other colors.

4 Likes

So pretty

3 Likes

Super important. The dremel will just gouge it to hell and back if you don’t keep moving.

3 Likes

Yes!

1 Like

A good place for using fluorescent woods.

1 Like

That’s a lot of glow powder! Planning on making a lot of these glowy boxes?

2 Likes

Not sure yet. They’ve been staring at me for a while waiting for a project :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks downright enchanted!

5 Likes

Amazing lighting with a twist.

4 Likes

Really amazing work. I wish I had your patience with sanding. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ah it wasn’t that bad, maybe 35 mins all told.

2 Likes

Ditto. :slight_smile:

Yer a nutbar! A very talented nutbar.

3 Likes

I love the glowy stuff! Another fine box project.

3 Likes