Brand new glowforge not working right

Hello. We just tried our first practice print and something doesn’t seem right. We printed one of the reference designs and this is what happened. It appears to do the engraving ok but the cutting is way off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also it didn’t cut all the way through

Yeah, that’s not the way it’s supposed to look. Support is going to want to weigh in on it, but you can check the tension on all 3 of the belts while you are waiting for them to pop in.

Instructions for what to check are laid out here:

Post any results here and support will let you know what to check next.

6 Likes

The engraving is not right either. Actually quite awful tbh.

1 Like

Agreed. Everything about that is wrong, including the engraving.

Yea, No… whoh… No. yea… no.

If I recall the order of the GOGM steps, it kind of looks like it got progressively worse as the job went on, primarily the X axis. Agree with @Jules (of course; I’m not a fool) that it looks like belt skips. You don’t have much reference, I understand, but did it sound odd? Like with tapping or grinding?

Have you done another try after that? I wonder if it would look worse, if this a progressive issue. If you do try (not sure I advise it without adjustment), watch it like a hawk. If the belt really starts missing and the head stops moving it could cook the material.

Please post what you learn. And welcome to the community! I assure you it is sharply uphill from here.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about the trouble with your first print.

I agree with @jules as well, this print result could be caused by a loose belt. There are three belts in your printer, a belt on each side of the printer bed and one under the laser arm.

Could you check the tension of your belts for me?

When pressing lightly on one side of the belt, the other side should not move.

Like this:

(You should see an animated image above)

Let me know if the belt is loose and I will follow up with your next steps.

2 Likes

First of all I want to say thank you to everyone who replied I truly appreciate it.

I emailed support on the 31st and still haven’t gotten a reply. This is very disappointing :confused:.

Did you not see the reply above? You have not responded for 5 days (and still didn’t supply the info they are asking for).

If you email and post here, they will respond using one or the other, not both.

1 Like

That message in yellow above yours is from support. Have you responded to that?

All belts are fine

I did not know that I was expecting phone support or an email. Thanks for letting me know.

1 Like

We don’t offer phone support right now, so unfortunately online is the best and only way for us to help. I apologize for the confusion regarding our reply to your email.

Thank you for letting us know that the belts are as expected. Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one.

I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.

1 Like