Brand new, wouldn't cut through on first and second cut attempts

Just set up brand new GF and it won’t cut through proof grade material. Checked for dirt on lens and mirrors, warping, crumb tray and everything else mentioned in troubleshooting with no luck.

1 Like

Darn, I know that’s gotta be disappointing / frustrating! Looks like you’ve done all the Things, so all I can offer is empathy. Support will be along soon, hang in there!

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you’re running into this on your first few prints!

I would like to check over your optics. Could you do the following for me?

Please send photos of all your cleaned optical components, with special attention to any damage you might find:

• Both windows
    • The printer head window, on the left hand side of the printer head
    • The laser window on the inside left of the Glowforge
  • The printer head lens
    • Both sides of the lens, top and bottom
  • The mirror inside the printer head
  • The bottom of the printer head

Once we have those pictures, we’ll follow up with next steps.

Thank you for responding. Here are the photos you requested. If you need me to retake any please let me know. It was hard not getting reflections. Upon super close inspection I noticed a defect in the lens/lens coating. You can see it on the picture as a little dot. it does not scrub away with the wipe and seems to be part of the lens. Other than that everything appears to be spotless. I tried again after another wipe down of all the reflective parts and windows with no success on cutting.

Thank you for sending these images over.

The focusing lens does appear to have a marking, and this could contribute to the trouble you’re seeing. However, I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge to review your most recent prints.

I can see that the prints are not cutting through on the very top of the material, and the material does not appear to be correctly placed inside of the bed. Could you please ensure the material is placed with the bottom right corner aligned with the bottom right corner of the “Honey Comb” on your Crumb tray, and then perform a Gift of Good Measure Print in the middle of the material?

Let us know how it goes!

I reran the the board as you requested. It worked much better but still not completely cutting through. I used a knife to cut the shape on the back and punched it out so that you could see that the laser is just shy of cutting through. The small circles still aren’t being cut through, just small perforations here and there. I’ve enclosed pics to show.

Thank you for sending us the photos showing the results of your test print. I’m sorry about the continued trouble. Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.