Broken seal in crumb tray door

Went to cut something today and smoke started coming in from under the machine, after some inspection is appears that the seal from the crumb tray door has broken. Is there a replacement part for this? How can I fix this?

There are many unsealed areas on the GF. It is designed to work under negative pressure. If you have smoke emanating from it then you have a problem with either your exhaust fan or the exhaust trunking.

3 Likes

I just cleaned the air assist fan and ran a few cuts and it was fine. The 3rd or so cut is when it started to come out from like the bottom of the machine not up from the back. I removed the exhaust vent and checked for holes and reattached and it’s still doing it. What do you mean exhaust fan? The air assist? I do not have an external inline fan hooked up

When your Glowforge is properly set up, you may have some harmless odor during printing which will rapidly dissipate. You may also smell something when you open the Glowforge lid after a print is complete. This is not harmful.

However, if you detect a strong, sharp smell that also causes eyes, nose, or throat irritation, or if there is visible smoke escaping while the lid is closed, shut off your Glowforge unit immediately. Smoke and fumes could be entering the room in excessive concentrations.

We’ve created a troubleshooting guide with illustrations. You can see it here:

As @beerfaced mentioned, your Glowforge is designed to use negative pressure:

To prevent smoke and fumes from escaping, fans pull more air out than they push in. This creates negative pressure which keeps smoke and fumes from escaping from the seams around the lid.

If the exhaust fan isn’t performing properly, the exhaust vent is obstructed, or the exhaust hose is constricted, air will not flow properly. If this happens, air (along with smoke and fumes) will be pushed out of your Glowforge along the lid seams.

We can circle back on the door seal once the exhaust problem is resolved.

Okay I will vacuum out the exhaust, and see if that is the issue. This problem only started after cleaning the fan. I never had an issue with smoke prior.

FYI @bonecreek570 , the staff can only help one person per thread - and this thread belongs to @scraporilla2. If you have an issue with your machine you should start your own thread.

The exhaust fan is located here behind a grill:
Exhaust fan location
Not to be confused with the air assist fan:

The exhaust fan (assuming there are no obstructions in the trunking and it is clean) will keep the interior of the GF in a slight vacuum preventing smoke and fumes from leaking out into your house. The exhaust hose however is under positive pressure so any restrictions, gaps or holes will leak smoke. A really dirty fan may not pull the amount of air required to keep the negative pressure inside the machine.

2 Likes

Hi there! I’m checking in to see if the issue with the exhaust had resolved with vacuuming the exhaust fan. If you are still having trouble, could you please post a few photos of your exhaust system? Specifically, please include pictures of the following:

The exhaust fan from the inside of the unit. To capture this photo:

Turn your Glowforge off
Open the lid
Using both hands, gently pull the printer arm towards you as shown below:

Move your phone or camera inside the Glowforge on the left-hand side, past the metal rail, pointed away from you towards the exhaust hose, to capture a photo like the one below:
hYO2UV5_3x_pKFt1MJFHmx_GU2P6VCSQZOFPQ3IrgmM07mAJ06-91qS3aEi8qN5hRZup2jfKivz2ziM_oYr0GsQG4DlUpyUwT0OiAR7h9o0gMWvjhaCN4FPA0CN3ufhLqmF2LAn0

The exhaust connection on the back of your Glowforge, with the exhaust hose removed:
3-V1ZHQwrGSEMW5pNwNNvBy95e6HlpNY7mKdkJE3sWOw2oYyUtbzQKU7f2fsTeuEIBVQNjjwrXfWqMxj1NUTty5qERJvf9wQlsxSPvfe6vaRn_Bvn1rN_mEqnA6inV9l52V2w4rT

It’s been some time since we’ve heard from you @scraporilla2 , would you let us know if you’re still experiencing trouble?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.