BUG: Score lines inconsistent with manual settings


#1

Dice.svg.zip (34.4 KB)

If I try the attached SVG with the dice outline scored at 500 / 4, the #s at 1000 / 50 and the cut at 390 / full (targeting a thin material), the score lines are hosed.

Specifically, it looks like the diagonals are at too great a power and end up cutting through where some of the horizontal lines zip at a rather quick speed and score as expected.

In these pics, you can see the horizontals below the 20 are a bit lighter Same with the verticals. During the score, those particular segments were scored at a much faster velocity than the rest of the scores.



#2

Things to try/check (will save some time when Support gets back on!):

  1. Clean your lenses – that’s the number 1 reason I find my scores getting inconsistent or cuts not going through. (One in the head, one on the side of the head, one under the left side of the case, the camera, and the mirror in the top of the head)

  2. Was the material thickness set correctly?

  3. Was the material completely flat on the bed? Even on a small piece like that I’ll typically have multiple hold-down pins around the edges. The tiniest warp will cause issues–'way less than you can spot visually. I lightly tap all over the material, listening for a dull thud. Anything sharp or “click” like tells me the material is hovering a fraction off the bed at that spot.

  4. Double-check your artwork for hidden extra lines, particularly in the diagonals. If you want to upload it here, there are users who are really good at ferreting those sorts of things out. :slight_smile:

  5. Support will probably want you to try the “Gift of Good Measure” on :proofgrade: draftboard to eliminate a multitude of variables and let them see exactly what your laser is doing, so if it’s still having issues after the above, I’d do that next and post photos.

Good luck!


#3

Oops, I missed that you DID post the file. I’m not the expert others are, but I’ll take a look while we wait for them to wake up. :slight_smile:


#4

I think this is the problem:

Your diagonals are formed of hundreds of tiny jagged segments. The laser is trying to faithfully follow that path, which is slowing it 'way down and causing your scores to bee deeper than they should. :grimacing:

I’m not sure I have enough time to get it fixed before I have to head out to an appointment, but if I don’t get it done I’m sure there will be someone else along soon who will take up where I leave off. :slight_smile:


#5

Okay, this is super quick and dirty and definitely not for production use, but should let you see the difference it will make having “clean” artwork. I just deleted lots of nodes in the polygons, and “simplified” the shapes for the numbers.

Dice.svg 2.zip (11.8 KB)


#6

DOH! That makes total sense. In fact, I just did a test cut and I can HEAR the motors doing the jiggly-wiggly on the diagonals!

Looks like I need to crank the “estimator” on my vectorizer.

Thank you so much!!


#7

Thanks for the help @geek2nurse.

I’m going to close this thread, but if you’re still having trouble @bbum, go ahead and post a new topic.


#8