Building Robots

Check out this amazing tank track system my son’s robotics team designed and fabricated on a Glowforge this weekend. Made from 7mm delrin. A lot of design, testing (they cut and built the whole thing in draft board and made some key discoveries and improvements before cutting in Delrin) and labor went into this. Should be more than robust enough to survive the entire season of First Tech Challenge.

20180930_160209
20180930_154110

They also have a go fund me page here if you’d like to support their efforts.
help-team-roboctopi-get-started

58 Likes

You nailed the right material for that. Fitting for such an intensive design effort. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Whoa! Great job!

3 Likes

Great job, that’s an impressive beginning!

4 Likes

Delrin is definitely the material for this. I’ve been watching Ivan Miranda’s channel on YouTube and his 3D printed treads are not quite strong enough. Very nice.

4 Likes

Holy smokes, that’s a lot of Delrin! A pretty pricey project but it looks like it’s working out great!

6 Likes

Wow!

2 Likes

Nice. What do you use to glue delrin?

Also, really cool to be able to prototype first.

2 Likes

That. Is. Awesome!! My nephew is on his high school robotics team, I’ve never seen the team make anything like this. Wow!

I’ve tried using Delrin (for making leather stamps/embossers). I always had trouble cutting all the way through.

Hats off to your son!

2 Likes

Every single one of those kids is more well-rounded than I am.

As I eat gummy worms for breakfast.

8 Likes

From the pictures I would guess that the Delrin is not glued, - screws are used everywhere to keep things together.

5 Likes

The early bird gets the worm. That’s where that saying comes from, you are totally adulting.

Besides, gummy is a food group.

5 Likes

The lazy worm is still in bed while the others are being eaten.:slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Considering the amount of money some teams invest in their drive system, this is a bargain. It was a considerable investment on their part, and highly risky given their current team finances but, they seem to be making good decisions so far. The drive system is their highest priority (scrum) and so far it’s working really well. I’m guessing they’ll have both tracks and their chassis done and driving on the play field next weekend.

3 Likes

Nothing sticks to delrin (well, maybe there’s some obscure glue that works but I’m not aware of it). As was said by AhnoldZ, the tracks are held together with 50mm M4 screws. The yellow bands are latex rubber tube that sits in groves in the track to provide grip.

They cut something like 300 track pieces and of that, about 4 pieces failed to cut completely.

2 Likes

Pretty sure they’d eat gummy worms for breakfast too, if they had any money left over to buy a few. Also, thank you for the compliment. They are a highly motivated group of kids.

2 Likes

Thank you!

What? That’s pretty awesome (and time-consuming I’m guessing).

Here’s a video of the final track design working.

11 Likes