Bump on engravings

There is a png image that is placed under those squares in the actual svg file. Not sure why it didn’t show up.

Fascinating. I did the file totally in vectors to avoid bitmaps. The advantage of bitmaps of these numbers would be to have some type of draft to the sides of the letter for added support. Acrylic is pretty tough, but some of these are fairly fine details and might break without draft. You would do that by adding a gradient/glow around the letters. There are some posts showing how to do that. As it is, here is just the numbers knocked out and having it totally in vectors.

ReliefEngravedNumbers

Yeah, the only reason I didn’t do vectors is really that I had to use GIMP for a different font I used on another stamp because it wouldn’t work in Inkscape and I just kept the process the same. The numbers still came out great minus that bump. I haven’t done as intense of an engraving since then, but I am curious if anyone at Glowforge has seen this behavior?

1 Like

Thanks for explaining. As far as I can recall, only @takitus has pointed this out before in relation to heat and the tube power. I have a pretty cool basement so have never had any heat issues and I have done relief engravings but haven’t run across it.

1 Like

Thanks for posting. I’ll take a look.

@haqnmaq Could you print one of these designs again, this time using the Proofgrade settings, and post a photo of the result here?

Yeah, I can do that. It may take me a day or two, sorry about that.