Burn Spots Along Cut Edges

My Glowforge Plus has just started with these random burn/scorch marks on the back of my material. Checked around here but didn’t see anything similar.

These marks only seem to show up on the back of my material. The material in the pic is 3.3 mm unfinished, white oak plywood. Both sides are masked. It cuts just fine. As I mentioned, this has only recently started to happen. I’ve cleaned the lens and mirrors.

Any help would be appreciated.

I believe what you are seeing is flashback from the honeycomb tray. You can put a piece of scrap material under your plywood and/or adjust your settings to reduce the flashback. You can also mask your material.

6 Likes

Thanks for the help. I typically mask both sides of my material to reduce cleanup and burn marks. I’ll test putting something under the material to see if that helps. Like I said, it’s strange as this has only recently become an issue.

1 Like

If you’re using the same material, and the same settings, you may be running into this being the dry season and your wood is easier to cut…all that extra power has to go somewhere.

Personally I’d get a piece of sacrificial wood and slide it under to raise the pieces off the bed.

3 Likes

Interesting. I have some scrap 1/16" birch that I’ll try as a base to see what happens. Thanks.

1 Like

I have used light cardstock under unmasked material to prevent flashback and it worked fine.

3 Likes

It looks like flashback like everyone else said, but also how dirty is your crumbtray? I’m guilty of hating to clean my crumb tray. I’ve had instances of the gunk in my tray catching fire just enough to add scorch marks to projects along my cut lines. :rofl::rofl: that’s usually around the time i force myself to try to remove the gunk.

6 Likes

I have found decent masking to act as flashback preventative in most cases and where the wood is finished it usually wipes off with a bit of hand sanitizer. With raw wood it can stain a bit however.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.