Burnt bottom

Hi everyone,

I am a brand new GF owner- just got it yesterday!
I cut the free ruler design on the PF draft board that worked fine and looks great. I decided to try cutting the camper van in the GF shop on PG basswood. Most of the cut was fine, however, I noticed significantly more charring on the bottom. I have attached a photo for reference. Do you know the reasons for this? The masking isn’t coming off cleanly on the bottom.
Thank you

That’s referred to as flash or flashback. Generally it means your cut was more powerful that it needed to be. Did you change your setting from Draftboard to Basswood when you switched designs?

Also pulling masking off a living hinge is always difficult - whether or not it got burned. The easiest way is to get a roll of heavy duty tape (gorilla tape and the like), lay that over the masking, rub it in really well, and then pull that off - it should bring all the masking with it :slight_smile:

Here’s what it looks like on a puzzle, but you get the idea:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your time and response! So helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh no, I’m sorry you’ve hit a snag.

Thanks for the answer @deirdrebeth, that’s right! I’m going to close this thread @gabbimga - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!