Calamity Ganon Tapestry from Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

If anyone has played 500+ hours of Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild like I have, you will recognize this piece as the Calamity Ganon Tapestry that explains the history of Hyrule.

We used a beautiful piece of Proofgrade Walnut, a lot of paint, and a lot of patience to make this piece really shine!

It wouldn’t be a WhenGeeksCraft post if we didn’t post a video showing how we made it :smiley:

Happy making!
Nicole Christianson
WhenGeeksCraft

43 Likes

Impressive geekiness at work!

2 Likes

i like to think so :slight_smile: lol

1 Like

Truly amazing, as all your builds are. It was like watching a fine Persian carpet being made. I’ve never used those model paints but they must work great for this as I don’t see any issues with paint peeling up with the masking like acrylics do, or paint wicking into the surrounding wood like oil or alcohol based paints do.

4 Likes

My fam would wig out. I am the only one not playing that game. Even the 4yo has started playing and loves it. (Yea, I know, bad parenting.) I’ve been tasked with making a master sword for Halloween as well.

Great piece! Inspiring!

4 Likes

Vallejo paints work great when you cannot clean the engrave. They are so vibrant they don’t care they are being put on burnt wood and they don’t fade.

5 Likes

I call that the best parenting!!! It’s a great game and everyone should try!! Thank you :wink:

1 Like

This is amazing! Great job! I’m not quite at 500 hours yet, but still recognized it!

1 Like

Thank you!!!

Exceptional as always!!!

1 Like

I love this project. I find using your tutorial I get so far and then the glowforge app stops, saying “print stopped, unable to complete print”
Is there anything you did to your settings to make the print load successfully?

2 Likes

Yes! good question lol

In the instructable, I wrote,
Save your work as an .SVG and a .PDF
** TIP : I use a Glowforge laser cutter, the .SVG file works, it’s just large at around 150,000 vector nodes. Using a .PDF worked just a bit faster while saving my sizing.*

I was able to get the file to load ONCE using the .SVG but after waiting what felt like a year, I decided to save it as two pdfs since I already made it a high-quality image.

One for the frame and one for the art. I brought them in and laid them on top of each other so the cut and engrave lined up.

PDF was a lot less cumbersome on the glowforge’s brain.

1 Like

Also if you plan on painting it…the proof grave masking tape its amazing and stopped all paint bleed on the proofgrade walnut ply. i was SHOCKED

3 Likes

Really good to know!
I was going to try it on cherry!.
In my version I was going to cut it out with a 0.5 inch border around the outside and then CNC a frame for it. I’m hoping that will work nicely.

I notice my first attempt defaulted to draft engrave. Is that what you used or was it the SD engrave?

OHHH MAN. Cherry will look beautiful! I am so excited to see what you come up with! What do you plan on putting on the frame?! I am out of space in my house for a CNC but im so interested in them!

I used what ever defaulted for a PDF on a engrave on proofgrade maple ply. I ran the engrave from my husbands account so i cant hop into the App to see what settings i used for it right now but i do know it was what was defaulted!

2 Likes

WHOAAAAAAAAA! This is amazing!

2 Likes

Very cool

2 Likes

Thank you!

I was thinking a fairly plain frame maybe out of 3/4 inch walnut with a slight round over on the edges. Right now I’d just be happy if the thing printed! I’m having absolutely no luck loading the file even with your advice

1 Like

Even the PDF?!! I had no issues with that one. It’s large but it’s not that insane as a PDF. Do you normally have issues with large engraves?